Faster lens or Flash??

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by jepry, Apr 28, 2008.

1. jepry

jepry TPF Noob!

I am trying to take better pictures of family/friends in low light conditions indoors. I currently have a Sigma 18-200 3.5-6.3, and a Canon 50 1.8 on my XT.

I am debating on getting a Canon 24-70L 2.8, or Sigma/Tamron equivalent or a Flash. Which of these would be the better purchase...Lens or Flash??

Thanks

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    "Better" isn't really something that we can answer for you.

You already have a 50mm F1.8...so an F2.8 lens isn't going to make it any easier for low light...would make it harder actually.

So if you are still struggling when using F1.8 or F2.0...then a flash would be a good idea.

3. jepry

jepry TPF Noob!

I wouldn't say that I am struggling with the 1.8, I just don't like being stuck at that focal length and my Sigma is not doing the job in low lights.

4. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I also find that I don't use my 50mm F1.8 as much as I used to...because it's just too long on my digital bodies.

I have a Sigma 30mm F1.4 and a Tamron 18-50mm F2.8 that I use in lower light situations. Of course, I love to use my flash and bounce it off of walls and ceilings as well.

5. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just get a flash. It's tough to keep anything in focus at larger apertures anyways, and the fixed focal lengths can be too limiting. Zoom is handy for family stuff. If I shot Canon I'd get an EF 24-105 f/4L IS and a flash and go to town. That's a great range, and I generally don't shoot people stuff at larger than f/4 anyways. And the reach out to 105mm is great for getting head shots. There's nothing equivalent in the Nikon system at the moment. :grumpy:

6. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another vote for the flash. Fast lenses are important to have but when you are trying to shoot rooms or multiple family members in a home, you cannot beat a wide lens and a well lit room at F/8 (wide meaning something in the 10-30mm range). My Sigma 18-50 is my fav family event camera... that or my Nikkor 18-200, just because of the incredible range and versatility.

I just place my strobe(s) in the corner(s) of the room and enjoy the results!

7. *Mike*

*Mike* TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You've already got some great advice. A flash is utterly invaluable. And, you do have the 50/1.8 (which is a great lens).

That said, an f/6.3 (?!) at the long end makes a lens a paper weight in my experience. And, if you're zoomed in to 200mm, odds are a flash isn't going to do much good - say catching action at a little league. The distance is just too much...

I'd consider what kind of shooting you're doing... Personally, I would have to have a flash. Then I'd put the cheap zoom away and try to pick up a decent wide angle and then something on the telephoto side of things...

8. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    He pretty much said what he was doing when he said:

;)

I cannot see the effectiveness of being at 200mm indoors, unless you are zoomed into a face or hand instead of a family scene.

9. jepry

jepry TPF Noob!

Thanks for all the advice guys!!

Now I am thinking I could get a Canon 17-40 f4L for $699 and a Speedlite 430EX for $299 which is still cheaper than the Canon 24-70 f2.8L.

Would that be a better solution??

Thanks again!!

10. Mystwalker

Mystwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use the 17-40 and 580EXII indoors for toddler shots.

With flash I can even use my 28-135 which is "f/3.5-5.6" (something like that).

For a non-pro like myself, the flash is almost a "fix-all" for indoor shooting :)

11. jepry

jepry TPF Noob!

I will be taking a lot of baby shots soon, how do u find the 17-40 for portraits? I read that it is only good for full body shots not for portraits.

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Typically, for portraits...you want a longer lens because it's more flattening (and flattering) to the subject. The wider the lens...the more likely you are to have wide angle distortion.