Gig Photography

Rogan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently i got the S5600 Finepix camera,

this weekend ive been to 3 gigs/club nights with it taking pictures of the bands, live, after the show and of mates during the night,

and the pictures in all honesty havent come out too good, ive tried playing with the settings using advice here but just doesnt seem to be working,

so im going to invest in a dslr since my parents have now realised that im serious about this and want me to do well with it.

Good job i only spent £60 on the S5600 and it shud be an easy resell (y)

So i have a budget of £400,

been looking around at a 2nd hand 350D body wich is about £200-£230, no idea what lens to look for, but i'd like reasonable zoom!

Also been looking at flashes and came across the Canon 540 EZ, for around £50, not sure if that'd be useful?

any adviced would be fantastic!

Rogan

not aprticularly
i have 1 canon lens atm a 35-80mm one from my eos 700 film SLR

thats the only reason really, but its not a real reason, but i did like the feel of the 400D when i used a mates, never tuched a nikon

If you have a Canon EF lens...then it would make sense to look at a Canon DSLR.

If you are wanting to shoot in clubs, you should also look at a 'fast' lens (large maximum aperture).

To take consistantly good sharp images at concerts without flash (which is usually a rule) you'll need a fast lens and that will mean 2.8f or wider. For a zoom you're looking at c.£400 for a Sigma or Tamron - more for the equivalent but better Canon lenses. Although Canon do a 50mm f1.8 prime for £75. Try looking second hand if you don't want to break the bank yet!

but bringing a digital SLR into a concert isn't easy. You can't often just bring one into the crowd without a photo pass.

i dnt know much about lenses so alot of that didnt make much sense to me :D

and £400 is my maximum budget until around christmas time

If you plan on shooting "gigs" ... then stay with Canon. Band photos look much better under available light than with flash. Shooting available light means a fast lens(es) and high ISO. CMOS sensors have significant and superior noise contol at ISOs of 800+ over CCD sensors.

Only the most expensive Nikons use CMOS sensors (D3, D300, D2X) ... all of Canon cameras use CMOS sensors.

Gary

ah thanks, looks like ill stick to canon then,

so is a 350D and a better lens a better option than the 400D with a kit lens? £250 brand new 350D with kit lens wud leavfe me £150 for another lens, or £200 body only

Not that big of a dif between the two cameras ... the 2MP difference is not significant. The kit lens is around F/3.5 ... not all that fast To be honest, and this is something you don't want to hear, but you are better off struggling with the 50mm and saving you monies until you have enough for a good, fast prime or zoom lens. Remember that 3rd party lens makers make lenses which are equally as sharp as OEM lens with a significant savings. A compromise lens will give you a compromise image.

I believe that starting out with a simple setup ... adding lenses as you improve ... growing into lenses if you would ... is a better methodology than overnight buying enough gear that would choke a news photog. The slow growth not as immediately satisfying ... but better in the long run for your photography, hardware acquisitions and budget.

Gary

what lenses would you reccomend then?

an im guessing that you dont think a flash is important right now?

Everyone should have the nift-fifty... lol

50mm F/1.8.

thansk jerry, but it doesnt have any zoom does it?

The fifty is a prime. It is also very affordable. If you want a fast zoom then the only advice I can offer you is... get ready, it gets expensive VERY fast.

Most reactions

Back