few recent shots - self critique

dklod

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Took some shots of my newphews kickin it poolside a few weeks ago.
All shots are right off the card, some with minor cropping. They all looked pretty good at the time, but then things started to bug me so I thought I would add some self critque to each shot as well.
All shot with a Pentax 50-135mm F2.8

SG205521resize.jpg

1/180, ISO800, f2.8, 80mm
My sister loves this shot (its her son). In the beggining, I did too. But then the fact that you can only see one of his arm floaties started to irritate me. Other than that, I like this shot. I have another one where you can only see from his eyes up. Its a better comp, but I somehow missed the focus. Doh!

SG205619resize.jpg

1/250, ISO100, f2.8, 80mm
I did some cropping of wasted space here. The blown wall in the sun in the background is a little distracting. I guess if I knew how, I could selective reduce the levels or contrast there.

SG205612resize.jpg

1/750, ISO100, f2.8, 135mm
Couple things here. The chair in the background, most of which I managed to crop out, is a distraction. The angle of the sun has created some unwanted shadows.

SG205615resize.jpg

1/750, ISO100, F2.8, 135mm
Again, the chair in the background was a major issue. I cropped out what I could. I chopped his legs off (with the shot, not the crop), but I guess I took a good proportion off which might be ok in some eyes. Better then just chopping off his feet. The inflatable ring created a reflector effect which helped with the shadows from the sun.

Feel free to add your own.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back