Filer/Mini Lens?

shelby16

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been reading the Digital Photography Book (Vol 1) by Scott Kelby, and he talks very highly of Polarizing Filters? He says that it makes the colors in your subject (such as nature), more vibrant. Have you used one? What kind would I get for my Nikon D5100?

Also, he talks about a Teleconverter Mini Lens. These are supposed to be cheaper than getting a normal sized lens, but I guess you attach it to your lens, and it adds more zoom without the price of getting a whole new lens.
Have you tried one of these? Again, any recommendations? I mainly use a 55-300mm lens, but if I could add on more zoom without having to buy a 400mm or 500mm, I would love to.

Thanks!!

Shelby

Last edited:
A CPL should be in every shooter's bag or vest.

If you're referring to the teleconverters that screw on like a filter, the vast majority are J.U.N.K..... junk.

A CPL should be in every shooter's bag or vest.

If you're referring to the teleconverters that screw on like a filter, the vast majority are J.U.N.K..... junk.
Thank you!! So for a CPL, do you have any suggestions for Nikon D5100?

I have been reading the Digital Photography Book (Vol 1) by Scott Kelby, and he talks very highly of Polarizing Filters? He says that it makes the colors in your subject (such as nature), more vibrant. Have you used one? What kind would I get for my Nikon D5100?

The one you choose has nothing to do with your camera body.

You need to get one that fits the lens you plan on using it on.

Also, he talks about a Teleconverter Mini Lens. These are supposed to be cheaper than getting a normal sized lens, but I guess you attach it to your lens, and it adds more zoom without the price of getting a whole new lens.
Have you tried one of these? Again, any recommendations? I mainly use a 55-300mm lens, but if I could add on more zoom without having to buy a 400mm or 500mm, I would love to.

I'm not a fan of them they always tent to degrade the image.

Thank you!! So for a CPL, do you have any suggestions for Nikon D5100?

Stick with the known brands. Singh Ray, Hoya, B+W, Tiffen, etc. Don't buy the cheapest one on ebay.

Thank you both! So they have specific ones make for my 55-300mm lens?

Thank you both! So they have specific ones make for my 55-300mm lens?

You just need to know the filter size. It should be in the instructions.

Make sure that it is a circular polarizer and not a linear, also get a multi-coated filter.
The cheapest I would recommend is Here, if you want the best look Here.

Thank you!! Sorry for all my newbie questions.

Don't be sorry for asking questions, Shelby. You can either read your lens owner's manual or just pick off your lens cap, turn it over, and read the diameter measurement of the screw threads at the end of the lens. That measurement will be the same for any attachment that you wish to thread onto the end of that particular lens. A different lens may have a different thread diameter, so don't assume that one filter will work for all your lenses.

The circular polarizer is primarily meant to lessen the effects of specular reflections that you see on shiny surfaces, such as water, ice, and other similar reflective surfaces. If you can, get a good one for your favorite lens, and perhaps any other lenses where you are likely to encounter reflections.

As to the tele-converter, think of it as another lens element, and consider that it should be as good quality as the lens that you put it on, otherwise you will downgrade your images.

Most reactions

Back