Film Camera for 8 year old

nicbivs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a daughter that is almost 8, I give her a camera every year for Christmas. She has an Instax Mini, a couple of polaroid cameras and one of my old digital point and shoots. I would like to give her a regular 35mm this year but am coming up blank as to what to get her. I think a fixed focus point and shoot would be nice for her to lug around, but am open to suggestions and would love to know specific models.

Thanks!

What about a Rollei 35 great little camera or you could get her a Leica that will last her a lifetime

I’d personally want one of these three: Olympus OM-10, Canon AE-1, or the Nikon Equivalent. Something without AF would be perfect for me. In fact, I have an Olympus OM-1 with 50 f/2.8 I’m probably going to sell. I bought it but didn’t realize it didn’t have a manual mode, so I can’t really use it for my flash photography, but it’s a great feeling and looking camera otherwise.

I’d actually like to be an old Nikon film camera to match these nice new expensive lenses I’m buying. It would be pretty awesome to be able to shoot some film frames and have them come out as nice as my non film stuff.

@Village Idiot : The OM-1 doesn't have a manual mode? I thought it was all manual. My OM-2 can be aperture-priority or manual.

I wouldn't give an 8-year-old a Rollei 35 or Leica. I think both would be too big of a leap for a child who's not shot manual film cameras. The Rollei is great, but fussy, and the Leica will probably be a bit too big for her, not to mention expensive - something you might want to wait on to see if she even likes film photography.

Small 35mm point-and-shoots: You can try the Olympus Trip 35. Automated, compact, and a surprisingly good lens.
Olympus Trip 35 - Camerapedia I've got a similar camera (35RC) which has manual options as well as a shutter-priority setting, and I really like it, except for the fact that I dropped it and now the rangefinder is a bit out of whack. So actually that might be a consideration - it's an older camera from the 60s and might not be as reliable as you'd like for a kid.

Olympus also makes a Mju-II, newer than the Trip, and possibly more appropriate for an 8-year-old who might not be as careful as you'd like (nothing against your daughter, just a comment about 8-year-olds in general :) ) Also has a sliding lens protector:
Olympus mju II - Camerapedia

There's also a Ricoh GR1: Ricoh GR1 - Camerapedia

Fuji made some good compact point-and-shoots as well, but I don't know model numbers. But you can poke around the Camerapedia site to get some information about them.

On the same level as a Leica would be a Contax point-and-shoot, which have excellent Carl Zeiss lenses, but then you're getting into some serious cash and I don't know what your budget is.

Ooooh, 110! Brings back all kinds of memories :)

this was my pentax 110 super setup.
I had every lens except the 18mm pan focus lens.
pentax110super.jpg

@Village Idiot : The OM-1 doesn't have a manual mode? I thought it was all manual. My OM-2 can be aperture-priority or manual.

I wouldn't give an 8-year-old a Rollei 35 or Leica. I think both would be too big of a leap for a child who's not shot manual film cameras. The Rollei is great, but fussy, and the Leica will probably be a bit too big for her, not to mention expensive - something you might want to wait on to see if she even likes film photography.

Small 35mm point-and-shoots: You can try the Olympus Trip 35. Automated, compact, and a surprisingly good lens.
Olympus Trip 35 - Camerapedia I've got a similar camera (35RC) which has manual options as well as a shutter-priority setting, and I really like it, except for the fact that I dropped it and now the rangefinder is a bit out of whack. So actually that might be a consideration - it's an older camera from the 60s and might not be as reliable as you'd like for a kid.

Olympus also makes a Mju-II, newer than the Trip, and possibly more appropriate for an 8-year-old who might not be as careful as you'd like (nothing against your daughter, just a comment about 8-year-olds in general :) ) Also has a sliding lens protector:
Olympus mju II - Camerapedia

There's also a Ricoh GR1: Ricoh GR1 - Camerapedia

Fuji made some good compact point-and-shoots as well, but I don't know model numbers. But you can poke around the Camerapedia site to get some information about them.

On the same level as a Leica would be a Contax point-and-shoot, which have excellent Carl Zeiss lenses, but then you're getting into some serious cash and I don't know what your budget is.
Leica big mine are small the R is big but the M is small and a Rollei she could carry in her pocket, Rollei XF is auto with a fantastic lens I got mine for £8.50

Nice! We just had one of the little guys, like a Kodak Instamatic or something along those lines. Can't remember the exact model or if it was even Kodak.

Gary, she's also an 8-year-old girl. What's great for you is not necessarily the best choice for her.

That was backwards. I have an OM-10. It only has aperture priority and auto. Otherwise, you need a plug in adapter for manual controls. Weird, I know...

ok...The OM-10 makes a lot more sense. I was also scratching my head over your OM-1 statement. The OM-1 was a great robust camera. How about a K-1000. I'm surprised not one suggested it. It's a tank and about as simple as you're going to get beyond a P&S.

ok...The OM-10 makes a lot more sense. I was also scratching my head over your OM-1 statement. The OM-1 was a great robust camera. How about a K-1000. I'm surprised not one suggested it. It's a tank and about as simple as you're going to get beyond a P&S.

It's true. I've got nothing but good things to say about the K1000. The only question is how much the OP wants to get into in terms of teaching her manual control over the exposures.

Most reactions

Back