Film Lenses

ANDS!

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Perusing through local CL, and I see a lot of film cameras being sold, and folks letting go of their lenses as well. My question, is it a fair assumption that these are going to be film lenses and what is 24MM on the film camera is going to be 35 on my digital. Just curious how naming conventions go.

Lenses are usually made of glass....not film or digital. :er: ;)

If your digital camera has a compatible mount, then you can use the same lenses as film cameras.

What camera do you have? Most Digital SLR cameras have a sensor that is somewhat smaller than 35mm film, (which most lenses were designed to work with)...all that means, is that the image through the lens is cropped by the digital camera, and it feels longer than it would with a film camera.

Unless you are used to using a 35mm camera...this is nothing to really concern yourself with.

I'm looking for a good deal on a wide angle lens, as the only one I have right now is a 50MM prime. I understand the whole cropping issue. I guess I don't know what my question was since I figured I wasn't going to get 24MM out of the 24MM 35MM lens. Basically I just need an affordable wide-angle for digital cameras, and it looks like my only option on getting a good deal is from B&H right now.

Well...you still get 24mm out of a 24mm lens...it's just different on the digital camera.

I know what you mean though...24mm is wide on a film camera but isn't so wide on the digital body. What camera do you have and what is your budget. I recently picked up a Canon 10-22mm lens...and it's so nice to have a wide angle lens again.

I have a D80. Realistically, I'd like to stay in the low 200's, 300 range. I dont really need something below 20MM. The 24 looked like a nice price and to satisfy general landscape, wide shots I might want - but not a whole lot of used ones around (other than the 239 one on B&H).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back