Filming in Macro!

hughdgray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone tried filming in macro? Just made a start, does anyone have suggestions/ideas? Used to photographing in macro but never filming. Does anyone know some tips on how to get a better depth of field?

Hooked on videos like this!:

Increased DOF can be accomplished two ways:

1. Smaller aperture.
2. Tilt lens.

Increased DOF can be accomplished two ways:

1. Smaller aperture.
2. Tilt lens.

Thanks, yeah tilting the lens sounds pretty simple actually

Tilting the lens doesn't give more DOF, it just offers the potential to make the depth more useful.
For more DOF you're basically stuck with smaller apertures or less magnification.

I've shot short videos with my microscope, but the resolution of the camera concerned made it rather pointless. Mine only takes a built in camera which only manages 3MP for stills & VGA for video. 4k video through the works microscope might actually be useful.

Something I wanted to try out myself. Maybe this weekend I'll give it a shot in 4K.

** Larger aperture to get the DOF he is looking for.**

What makes you so sure? He asked for 'better DOF' which in macro nearly always means more.
A smaller aperture has a bigger number - f/22 is smaller than f/4.
His video examples is why I have an idea of what he's talking about. Plus there was mention of tilt **** which also is a sign he's talking larger aperture for grater DOF. Plus if you say a smaller aperture but you mean a higher F STOP it makes it more confusing to people. Everyone know large aperture = lower number why confuse it.

** Larger aperture to get the DOF he is looking for.**

What makes you so sure? He asked for 'better DOF' which in macro nearly always means more.
A smaller aperture has a bigger number - f/22 is smaller than f/4.
His video examples is why I have an idea of what he's talking about. Plus there was mention of tilt **** which also is a sign he's talking larger aperture for grater DOF. Plus if you say a smaller aperture but you mean a higher F STOP it makes it more confusing to people. Everyone know large aperture = lower number why confuse it.

The video shows the entire head of the match in focus, which at that sort of magnification is quite deep DOF.
Tilt can be used for wither increasing or decreasing the apparent DOF. In the vast majority of it's use has been employed to increase DOF (this has been done routinely since before 1900 using movements on large format cameras), with the miniature effect usage (lessening DOF) being a much more recent phenomena. Only becoming common in the last 5-10 years (Wikipedia puts the first mention of its use as 'the 1990s').

Most reactions

New Topics

Back