Filter adapter rings?

Reaction score
I recall back in my film days I used adapter rings for various filters on lenses of dissimilar sizes. Effectively, I bought a filter for the largest lens and then an adapter (reducer) to fit the smaller lens but I didn't really do a lot of research. I'm considering getting some ND filters and wondering what would be the down cons other than hood not fitting or potential light leaks around the step down adapter ring?

I use ring adapter for the same reason you propose. I use two adapters to cover three lenses from 58 mm to 52 mm. The filter and rings are screw mounts so light leaks are not an issue. I made my lens hoods to match my lenses, so as you mentioned, the larger filter diameter does not allow hood use on the smaller lenses.

I do have to be careful not to tighten the adapters too tight. They snug up very well, but can be difficult to unscrew.

I use step down adapters with my ND filter. I've never had a problem with it.

One needs a step-up ring to mount a larger filter on a smaller lens.

I went with the Lee filter system. The filters are square and slide into a holder. The holder accommodates various step down rings. I have both gradient and solid filters and a polarizer. the filter holder rotates for the polarizer. Kaze is another filter system that gets a lot of praise in reviews and forums. Kaze uses a magnetic hold system.

I went with the Lee filter system. The filters are square and slide into a holder. The holder accommodates various step down rings. I have both gradient and solid filters and a polarizer. the filter holder rotates for the polarizer. Kaze is another filter system that gets a lot of praise in reviews and forums. Kaze uses a magnetic hold system.
Interesting; that sounds a lot like the Cokin (?) system I had for my film rig some years back.

When I started large format, I use my 77mm filters from my Mamiya RB67 medium format kit. I leave a step-up adapter on each large format lens so I don;t have to be bothered with it when needed in the field. I just screw on the 77mm filter. My Cokin slip on for graduated ND filters works with this method as well.

Of course, I have one LF lens that takes a larger filter so these methods won't work.

I have a twin lens reflex with a pair of smaller lenses, and in a pinch I have simply held a yellow color filter over the film lens when shooting B&W for cloud contrast.

Until I bought a set of filters, I tried placing some the gel filters in front of my view camera lens. It was a bit cumbersome, but it worked well enough to encourage me to buy the filter set.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back