filters?

tiki21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hello everyone, have been reading around a bit.. i took a photo course like 4 years ago.. trying to get back into taking photos..

anyway, ive got a questions regarding filters, is there any sort of list of what filters are out there, and how they might effect a picture.. and second, when you are taking a picture with a filter on the camera, i know there is something you have to adjust, but i just cant remeber.. as vague as that sound..

alright everyone, hopefully there are some answer out there for these questions.. have a nice day!

Your best bet will be to either pick up a book from your local library, or Google for lists of filters and effects. There are general categories: Colour filters to enhance or reduce a given colour, polarizers to enhance contrast and saturation, effects filters to add starbursts, vignettes or other effects to the image, compensory filters such as UV, and skylight and exposure filters, including neutral density and graduated neutral density, to allow you to control the exposure of an image.

Generally speaking most filters (esp. the darker ones) will require some adjustment to the exposure, either by decreasing the shutter speed, or apeture.

Most of the filter manufacturers give examples. You might try their websites: Tamron, Hoya, B+W.

are you using film or digital? which will effect the answers.

tirediron

one doesn't need a whole bag of filters with digital cameras, with film especially black and white is a different story; that is why the question.

for black and white film, thre are a few basic filters i would start with. a red, green and yellow. you may get various other suggestions.
there are 3 red filters, start with a 25,

film filters have a filter factor which will effect the exposure (except the basic UV, haze filters) adding time. through the lens metering should correct for that unless you want to make the correction manually then you will just need to make the adjustments yourself. Each filter should indicate the filter factor for adjustments

Most reactions

New Topics

Back