filters

zio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I wasn't paying attention to where I posted this earlier...it was under General Qs&As...should go here...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 35-80mm lens on my Canon camera. What size filter do I get for it? I'm looking at ritzcamera.com and they're only showing Cokin, Nikon and Quantaray filters. Are any of these able to work on my Canon?
I'd like to get a polarized and maybe a colored one to see the different effects. Your thoughts?

Look at the other number followed by a mm to find the size of filter you need. All my lenses have an o with a / through it next to the number that indicates the filter size... it'll probably be somewhere between 49mm-62mm or not.

so a 52mm sounds about right? what about different colors? which have you found to work best? i've been looking at different books and each one has a thousand different colors or types. i'm going to get a polarized b/c i like that effect.

You can buy a filter from any of those manufacturers, but you have to make sure that its the right diameter for your lens. It should be noted that the focal length of a lens doesn't determine what filter size your lens is (a 50mm lens might use a 52mm filter).

If you look on the underside of you lens cap it should say what the diameter your lens is and therefore what size filter you should get. Some common sizes are 49mm, 52mm, and 58mm, but that doesn't mean that your lens will be one of those sizes.

If you don't find the size on the bottom of the lens cap you can always measure the diameter of the lens using a ruler (measure in mm). If you can't tell for certain using a ruler you can just take the lens to a local camera shop and they can try on different filters and tell you which size filter the lens takes.

If you are using an auto focus camera you need to buy a Circular Polarizing filter, but if it's a manual focus camera you should buy a Linear Polarizer. Circular are more expensive, but sometimes you can find them used at camera shops.

I've never used any colour filters myself. If your looking for a colour filter then you should consider what your going to be shooting and what colours you want to bring out in your photo.

When you talk about color filters you need to think of the effects you want. Personally I'd get an 80A blue filter so you can use daylight film indoors without getting that nasty orange cast in tungsten lighting. You should also get a UV filter to protect your lens. You can keep the UV filter on as long as you'd like, it doesn't have a discernable effect on your photos and it protects your expensive lens from getting jacked up. The UV filters are fairly cheap. It's a VERY good investment to get a UV filter, trust me, it's better to crack a UV filter than it is to Crack a $200 lens if you should accidently drop it or slip on something.

Yo,
UV filter is always vital in my book. Mine already has a wide array of scratches on it (I'm clumsy, ha ha). I rather damage a $13 filter than my camera lens anyday!.
The only other filter I want is a polarizer. But I have a point and shoot and like someone said, those get somewhat pricey for point and shoots.
I think most brands will fit on your Canon. I always try to buy the camera's brand of filters (just because I am extremely anal like that), but if that is not possible and you buy used or another brand - make sure the threading is decent.
Take care. Bi bis.
Me, the FLea

Most reactions

New Topics

Back