spako

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
spako.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

I want to buy some filters for my Canon 350D, and was wondering if you could give me some advice.
After reading a bit around on the net I figured I want to buy a polariser filter and an ND Grad filter.
Now here're my questions:

What filter system should I be using? the screw on or the "slide in" (if you know what I mean?)

I read that slide in is better with ND Grads... is this true for PolFilters aswell? or should I buy 2 different systems?

What strenghts of ND grads do you recommend?

I read that the cokin system is good but that their filters give you some annoying colour casts when shooting in colour? are Hitech filters any better? do they fit onto cokin mount?
well I know these are many questions, but I would really appreciate any help here! I would like to buy the right thing!

and maybe someone could tell me what the translation of ND Grad is in German.. ;-)

well.. thats about it!
Thank you :))

As you mentioned square filters are better for ND grads as you can place the transition from dark to clear wherever you want in the frame. As for polarisers, square or screw on filters will have the same effect.

I used Cokin filters in the past and sometimes, depending on the light I got a slight purple cast in the skies. I now use Lee filters and those seem to be be truly neutral, but there are more expensive. I have never used Hi-tech filters so cannot help you here. Hi-tech, Lee and Cokin all offer 100mm filters and they will fit in each other's holders.

The ND grad I found most useful is a 2 stops filter. You can buy them with a fairly sharp transition (when there is a fairly straight horizon in your picture) or a softer transition. I find that I use the latter more often but both are useful.

Finally, make sure you buy the right size of filters for your needs. For example Cokin has 4 different sizes (A, P, X, Z): the wider the lens, the larger the filters you need to avoid vignetting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back