Finaling Purchase. DSLR and Lenses

Dm3k1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK So i'm ordering from nikon with my dealer discount . I am ordering the D80 Body only, the SB-400 Speedlight and a UV, ND and Circular Polarizer. The lens I think I am going with the 18-200mm VR (not a huge price concern) for ~660 with my store discount and a 50mm f/1.8 for $108.

My question however is... I can get the 70-300mm VR for 380 with my dealer discount and It is just hard to pass that up. Could I be doing better getting that and finding something else to buy with my 300 dollars? (i WAS looking at the 18-70 because it got great reviews with the 70-300 but for the price difference of only 50 dollars the versitility and smaller carrying size pushed me away (along with peer pressure :) )

Just before I finalize my purchase I want to make sure that it is the right choice. (i'm not in need of the lens for a few weeks because the body wont be here for a few.) but If i go with the 70-300VR I want to order it with the camera so they arrive at the same time.

Lastly, I've heard mixed things about Nikons Capture NX - that there are better for the money, but how about for 75 bucks (about half off)?

Thanks guys, and keep me in that price range please!

Pass on the SB-400 and get an SB-600. You can use the SB-600 off camera, and that's more important than just being able to bounce a flash. The SB-600 can also rotate more ways than just up.

Thanks, I've heard that. someone else suggested the 800. the size is the only thing that is bugging me. Dont know how much I would use off camera to start off with- this would be my first DSLR. But the rotating is pretty important even for the bounce correct?

Thanks, I think i will try out the 600

Most reactions

Back