Finally got my 80-200, so I need some advice

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by clbd39, Dec 20, 2009.

1. clbd39

clbd39 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was excited to go try out my new Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 even though it was 31 degrees outside!

I wanted to get a good shot of my hometown's decorations on a downtown street and a pic of my car

I know the downtown picture would be better if I got rid of the powerlines, but, one of my questions is where would you all crop this to make it more interesting

On the car one, it's off of a small side road near our bridge that goes into Illinois, if you all don't mind, some C&C would be much appreciated. I did a little toning, obviously desaturated the downtown one and cloned out my plates, I may have gone overboard with unsharp mask as well, I'm fairly new to photography, especially compared to many of you so I'm here to learn as much as possible!

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. photograham

photograham TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd crop out that red car ruining the bridge shot :)
    Just kidding[​IMG]

3. clbd39

clbd39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :( lol it's all good you either love them or hate them, one of these days i'll figure out how to take a cool picture of that bridge lol

I like how the fenders flare on the front and the rear mimics it in a subtle and clean way

Rally it :)

4. fokker

fokker No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Both good shots, I like the car one the best. I would crop it down slightly, there appears to be grey areas in the corners where it looks like you've rotated it. It could probably stand to lose some of that blown out sky as well. There is also something odd looking coming out the back of the car which I would crop out. Otherwise nice clear photo with no distracting background elements, and a nice perspective of the car.

5. clbd39

clbd39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    lol wow, yea i did rotate it and forgot to crop out the edges, wow i feel dumb...

Edit: Fixed

6. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I think you rotated it the wrong way. The horizon line is off a bit. Make it straight, or go for the angle. It just looks off to me the way it is. Don't you hate when you post something and somebody finds that little detail you missed, lol, the street lamp at the tail light.

I really like the first image, and it being black and white. I am not sure the power lines bother me. I like the powerful, yet oddly lonely feel of the clock tower in the middle of the road.

7. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do really like the first one as well. No moving traffic on the street makes it that much more interesting to me.

The second one is pretty good too, as was said crop off the gray crooked areas. Also the car itself is a bit underexposed.

8. Sam6644

Sam6644 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been shooting with that lens all weekend... love it!

9. clbd39

clbd39 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks! The front lip is almost perfectly straight.... I'm not a fan of the "JDM" Angle stuff, it looks bad to me usually and it takes quite a good picture to pull that off, IMO, I can't believe I didn't see the lamp in the background, just move over a foot and it would've been gone :(

I love that clock we have downtown and I used it for a wedding shot idea during my wedding pictures this summer :) it came out awesome!

Thanks! It took a while for there to be 0 traffic, but patiently waiting in 31 degree temps eventually paid off

I love the color of my car, but it is always a hassle to get colors right on the dark side especially!

I know it's awesome! :)

10. jdag

jdag TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice and sharp! Enjoy the lens!!! Mine hardly leaves the camera.

11. KasparP

KasparP TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lovin the car. Specs on it?

Nice pics also!

12. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    That's whatI mean. Almost, isn't straight. It's still crooked, and you can also go by the horizontal line of the bridge too. Both are very nearly the same angle. It should be straight or at an angle. Close only counts in horshoes and handgrenades.