Finally got my 80-200, so I need some advice

clbd39

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was excited to go try out my new Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 even though it was 31 degrees outside!

I wanted to get a good shot of my hometown's decorations on a downtown street and a pic of my car

I know the downtown picture would be better if I got rid of the powerlines, but, one of my questions is where would you all crop this to make it more interesting

On the car one, it's off of a small side road near our bridge that goes into Illinois, if you all don't mind, some C&C would be much appreciated. I did a little toning, obviously desaturated the downtown one and cloned out my plates, I may have gone overboard with unsharp mask as well, I'm fairly new to photography, especially compared to many of you so I'm here to learn as much as possible!

Thanks!

DSC_0024sm.jpg

DSC_0012sm.jpg

I'd crop out that red car ruining the bridge shot :)
Just kidding
N.gif

:( lol it's all good you either love them or hate them, one of these days i'll figure out how to take a cool picture of that bridge lol

I like how the fenders flare on the front and the rear mimics it in a subtle and clean way

Rally it :)

Both good shots, I like the car one the best. I would crop it down slightly, there appears to be grey areas in the corners where it looks like you've rotated it. It could probably stand to lose some of that blown out sky as well. There is also something odd looking coming out the back of the car which I would crop out. Otherwise nice clear photo with no distracting background elements, and a nice perspective of the car.

lol wow, yea i did rotate it and forgot to crop out the edges, wow i feel dumb...

Edit: Fixed

I think you rotated it the wrong way. The horizon line is off a bit. Make it straight, or go for the angle. It just looks off to me the way it is. Don't you hate when you post something and somebody finds that little detail you missed, lol, the street lamp at the tail light.

I really like the first image, and it being black and white. I am not sure the power lines bother me. I like the powerful, yet oddly lonely feel of the clock tower in the middle of the road.

I do really like the first one as well. No moving traffic on the street makes it that much more interesting to me.

The second one is pretty good too, as was said crop off the gray crooked areas. Also the car itself is a bit underexposed.

I think you rotated it the wrong way. The horizon line is off a bit. Make it straight, or go for the angle. It just looks off to me the way it is. Don't you hate when you post something and somebody finds that little detail you missed, lol, the street lamp at the tail light.

I really like the first image, and it being black and white. I am not sure the power lines bother me. I like the powerful, yet oddly lonely feel of the clock tower in the middle of the road.

Thanks! The front lip is almost perfectly straight.... I'm not a fan of the "JDM" Angle stuff, it looks bad to me usually and it takes quite a good picture to pull that off, IMO, I can't believe I didn't see the lamp in the background, just move over a foot and it would've been gone :(

I love that clock we have downtown and I used it for a wedding shot idea during my wedding pictures this summer :) it came out awesome!

I do really like the first one as well. No moving traffic on the street makes it that much more interesting to me.

The second one is pretty good too, as was said crop off the gray crooked areas. Also the car itself is a bit underexposed.

Thanks! It took a while for there to be 0 traffic, but patiently waiting in 31 degree temps eventually paid off

I love the color of my car, but it is always a hassle to get colors right on the dark side especially!

I've been shooting with that lens all weekend... love it!

I know it's awesome! :)

Nice and sharp! Enjoy the lens!!! Mine hardly leaves the camera.

Lovin the car. Specs on it?

Nice pics also!

Thanks! The front lip is almost perfectly straight....
That's whatI mean. Almost, isn't straight. It's still crooked, and you can also go by the horizontal line of the bridge too. Both are very nearly the same angle. It should be straight or at an angle. Close only counts in horshoes and handgrenades.

#1 should NOT be cropped. You would only want to crop pictures when you have dead-space, uninteresting or distracting subjects, blurred elements, etc. Since you are shooting the clock in the middle of the street, it's good that it is centered in the frame. And trying to crop out the power-lines and/or buildings on the side or foreground street will all detract from the quality of the photo. It has excellent depth and you chose the ideal focus point, it seems.

#2 is very good, nice bokeh.

Lovin the car. Specs on it?

Nice pics also!

Thanks

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX - Sedona Red Pearl
VF43 Turbo (Stock 07 STi turbo), Deatschwerks 650cc Injectors, Walbro 255 lph Fuel Pump, K&N Typhoon Intake, APS Dual Vent BOV, STi Top Mount Intercooler, Turbo XS Turbo-Back-Exhaust (4inch bellmouth Downpipe) TurboXS Catless Uppipe, GM Boost Solenoid, Tuned by Jorge @ P&L Motorsports @ 287-AWHP/276-AWTQ @ 23.4 psi

Tanabe GF210 Springs, STi Skirts, Rally Armor MudFlaps, Jun Eyelids, EDM Grille, Wintermode :painted stockers, Summermode: 17" Rota Subzero

I think that covers the basics

Thanks! The front lip is almost perfectly straight....
That's whatI mean. Almost, isn't straight. It's still crooked, and you can also go by the horizontal line of the bridge too. Both are very nearly the same angle. It should be straight or at an angle. Close only counts in horshoes and handgrenades.

Well, i said almost because the lip itself isn't perfectly straight, but you brought up a good point, I should've used the bridge to get the vertical correct, I can't use the horizontal of the bridge because of the side perspective the shot was taken and my elevation compared to the bridges leading horizontals and they will of course be slanted but, damnit i should've used the vertical on the bridge lol, hopefully the bridge is built straight, thank you for the tips! keep 'em coming!

#1 should NOT be cropped. You would only want to crop pictures when you have dead-space, uninteresting or distracting subjects, blurred elements, etc. Since you are shooting the clock in the middle of the street, it's good that it is centered in the frame. And trying to crop out the power-lines and/or buildings on the side or foreground street will all detract from the quality of the photo. It has excellent depth and you chose the ideal focus point, it seems.

#2 is very good, nice bokeh.

Thank you for the tip! :)

#1 is good as it, minus the powerlines. Nice ride in the 2nd one, i drive an 03 WRX SRP, go bugeyes!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back