Finally made the leap to a D200. Any tips?

jim44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wrestled with getting a D80 or 200. Decided on the 200. Now all I have to do is pay for it. Anyone have any tips on this camera? I've done some reading and know it's faster and somewhat smarter than the D80. I was very satisfied with the D70 for years but got the itch. Any and all help appreciated.

Your decision will prove to be a good one....I am also wrestling with the same move.

Most functions should be the same as your D70 except for the wheel on the left side.

Take some shots and show us......

I don't see how it would be much different than using your D70. What were you hoping to gain by upgrading? The D200 is weather sealed...so I guess you could wait for a rain storm and then go outdoors :lol:

i say a D70 to a D200 is not a big jump.....not worth it

but looking at your lense collection again....i guess it is not an inssue for you on a budget point of view......i guess you should have gone wilder and get the better bodies

I'd consider the weather sealing alone fairly important. That and the better build, and more dedicated controls. If you can afford the D200 sure why not go for it.

its a big enough jump . . . its like going from a 20d to 5d.

watch the focus mode switch . . . somebody warned me you may bump it into continuous when changing lenses and i thought they were full of it.

its happened twice now!

good thing i noticed !

its a big enough jump . . . its like going from a 20d to 5d.

depends on how you define "big"......but for sure a D200 selling at $1600 is not comparable to a 5D selling at $3300 :drool:

unless you are willing to trade me a new 5D for a new D200....:p

Magnesium alloy vs plastic, body seams sealed vs not being sealed, I'd say it was worth the jump. It's a great camera.

Only tip I would give is to get out and use it and become comfortable with it.

I found one very lightly used from a friend of mine. He made the jump to Canon.

I am pretty excited about making the change.

5d to d200 is about like d70 to 20d in comparison (as long as you don't count full frame as a huge point)

and buy a grip, battery life on the d200 isn't so hot

I would suggest purchasing a battery grip as well. The batteries do not last long. The other thing I would suggest is keep the manual near by. At least for me, there were are still are so many nuances that I have trouble remember them all.

Most reactions

Back