Finding the correct lens hood help.

a1157814a

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a lens hood for my camera lens. It is the standard lens that comes with Nikon D40. The problem that I am having when selecting which ones are compatible is that lens hood would say it would work with AF-S but it has different zoom value. My lens is 18mm - 50mm and I found lens hoods that are only slighter off (like 52mm).

On Amazon (which is where I am buying my lens hood), I would found one that I was sure to be compatible with my lens. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-HB-33-Lens-18-55mm-Nikkor/dp/B0009HN57O/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I29U7IAK9XOV34&colid=UAN0F2XWXOJ]Amazon.com: Nikon HB-33 Lens Hood for 18-55mm DX Nikkor Lens: Camera & Photo[/ame]

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The HB-45 replaced the HB-33..............

is HB-45 or HB-33 only hood that is compatible to my lens?

Probably. Other than general "one size fits all" hoods, but you don't want one of those - you want the one made specifically for your lens.

As inexpensive as this hood is (...a lot cheaper than Canon hoods), I wouldn't even worry about shopping around.

just use the filter size like 72mm is mine, i got both my hoods off ebay, they're all the same plastic

just use the filter size like 72mm is mine, i got both my hoods off ebay, they're all the same plastic

I have a 55-200 VR lens with a 52mm thread and I'm soon to have a 24mm f/2.8 with a 52mm thread.... no way would I put the lens hood for the telephoto on the wide-angle (at least I don't think).

I have a 55-200 VR lens with a 52mm thread and I'm soon to have a 24mm f/2.8 with a 52mm thread.... no way would I put the lens hood for the telephoto on the wide-angle (at least I don't think).

Which is why you should avoid those hoods and get the one that is actually designed for the lens you intend to put it on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back