First 4x5 shots!

nealjpage

multi format master in a film geek package
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so forgive the composition on these. I was out at my friend's farm with my Speed Graphic and really wanted to try it out. So I didn't mess too much with comp or anything like that. Looks like I've got a dust problem, but of course I forgot my lens cloth in my other camera bag. Two shots from the same point.

img377.jpg

Kodak Tri-x, expired 1985. Rated at 200 ASA. Red filter

img378.jpg

Kodak Tri-x, expired 1985. Rated at 200 ASA. No filter.

The aspect is also kinda screwed up because my scanner won't scan 4x5; it'll only go up to medium format. Looks like I'll be getting a new scanner soon!

I'm just so excited!:bounce:

Nice! It could also be dust on the film. When was the last time you cleaned out the holders? There can also be a ton of dust inside the camera so when you take you the dark slide, it could attract dust.

After tons of cleaning, if you still have dust problems, try ready loads, what you can do is get yourself a polaroid back or a kodak readyload back and see if that helps or fixes the problem.

dust prints out as white, these look like pin holes. Also, a problem with air bubbles.

it just takes some pratice as with all photography to get your developing technique down.

Neal: I agree with what Ann said. Keep practicing! And give yourself a break - while it is good to be able to practice technique on this very out of date film, your best tests will be when you are ready to try with fresh film. This old film may be more susceptible to the pinholes. It's also more difficult to tell if what looks like uneven development is technique-related or again, just due to outdated emulsion.

Your exposure looks fine. I'd be thrilled if these were my first 4x5's; you're on your way. :thumbup: I'm excited for you, too! Not to mention quite jealous. :lol:

Thanks, guys! I'll be sure to get out more often now :)

D76 in a Yankee Daylight tank. 11 minutes (I think--can't remember at the moment) at 68 degrees. Agitate every 60 seconds. 6 minutes of fixing in Kodak fixer.

Most reactions

Back