First attempt at HDR

bassiusmaximous

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
decided to play with some pictures I took last year let me know what you think... I think putting it into photobucket reduced the quality of the photos...

finalBA640x480.jpg

finalhdr640x480.jpg

SFHDR640x480.jpg

Not trying to be mean but that's doesn't really look anything close to HDR photos. Too me looks like all you did was bump up the saturation, which i might be mistaking. Search HDR images on Google, then Youtube videos on how to create them and you will see the difference.

I doubt you've got a camera that can bracket at least 3 frames THAT fast.

These are not HDR. They look just like photo's that need some work, and you bumped up the saturation..

Let me google that for you

How did you get a Nikon D60 to bracket at least 3 shots that quickly? I'm pretty sure those jets aren't on a stick.

Any shot at all even a jpeg can be put through Photomatix if you want to do some tone mapping. It wont give you an HDR, but will give you a beefed up shot compared to the original. I think you are mistaking tone mapping for HDR processing.

wow sorry guys I did think so many people would take offence to my noob photo skills... I followed this tutorial I took those pictures over a year ago before I even knew what HDR was haha

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think anyone's taken offense, but more like crying foul.

It may give you a 'better' image, but it's not really HDR if it's taken from a single shot, at least IMHO.

You can easily do that with Topaz Detail, why bother making fake-HDRs?

The word "high" in "high dynamic range" is not clearly defined or classified, so technically you can create an HDR from a single image, but generally it is accepted that you need at least 3, and generally 5-7 is preferred and will give you far better results.

I thought with a RAW image you could get a HDR image with just one exposure... As in, the software would then make the up/down exposures for you... Am I right?

-Fauzi

No, if you can get the light range in one exposure there is no need for HDR. One can tonemap that image with is not the same. Taking one proper exposure in RAW and then making more than one file is still not HDR. It is again, tonemapping.

HDR is used when the light range is too broad for one exposure; meaning one needs details in the highlights and detail in the shadows, which the current cameras cannot support.

Most reactions

Back