First Attempt at Ultra Macro!

dmanning11

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got a 4 way focusing rail slider with fine adjustment, and a reverse macro adaptor for my camera.
Camera is a Sony a65 24MP, lens was a reversed Tamron 17-50mm F2.8.

These are two insects I found dead in a mud wasp nest, I managed to prop them up on a needle and took 10 x 4 sec exposure shots at F32, ISO 100, each shot was advanced 0.05mm and then focus stacked in Photoshop.

Please tell me what you think. C&C

1. Ant 4mm long.

2. Jumping spider 3mm long

That second one is hypnotic! I like it! :) I would say maybe try different angles! They're also a tad blurry.

Why 4 seconds at f/32? I would think diffraction would really kick in. Why not try 1 sec @ f/11?

DOF was too small at anything less than F20, I find 10 images is the upper limit for accurate stacking.
Better to go long exposure ...

DOF was too small at anything less than F20, I find 10 images is the upper limit for accurate stacking.
Better to go long exposure ...

Take more images closer together.

I second the others, whilst the depth of field is tiny using a wider aperture will lessen the diffraction softening. That means you'll get significantly sharper shots so that when you stack you get a great result. Even with stacking f32 is just too small an aperture and the diffraction hurts every shot.

Sometimes its also beneficial to mount the subject on the focusing rail instead of the camera - then move the subject closer by tiny increments (since you're subjects are dead and spiked you can really take your time to get the shots)

I second the others, whilst the depth of field is tiny using a wider aperture will lessen the diffraction softening. That means you'll get significantly sharper shots so that when you stack you get a great result. Even with stacking f32 is just too small an aperture and the diffraction hurts every shot.

Sometimes its also beneficial to mount the subject on the focusing rail instead of the camera - then move the subject closer by tiny increments (since you're subjects are dead and spiked you can really take your time to get the shots)

I know for a fact that f/8 is the sweet spot when I reverse my 28mm Nikkor. At f/11, the diffraction is noticable, and beyond that it renders the images (at least to me) totally useless.

Will give it a go at F8, maybe its my PC that isn't capable of stacking more that 10 * 24MB raw files at a time.
Every time I try the image creates with out of focus areas, or it bugs out and hangs.

You think I should lower the Res and convert to .jpg first before building the stack and auto blending?

Will give it a go at F8, maybe its my PC that isn't capable of stacking more that 10 * 24MB raw files at a time.
Every time I try the image creates with out of focus areas, or it bugs out and hangs.

You think I should lower the Res and convert to .jpg first before building the stack and auto blending?

That's the way I roll... edit the raw images. Edit one then batch edit the rest. Then convert to JPEG and do the stack from them.

^ This! Stack JPEGs... I do use the full size JPEGs for stacking... at max res. Works well even with my D800 images.

Well... it's a start... but shall I point out... ahem... *whispers* your equipment is showing

Most reactions

New Topics

Back