First camera to buy

mulak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi,

I'm going to st. lucia for a wedding (my cousin) and I'm leaving on this Thursday for my flight.

I always liked photography and want to take pictures of landscape, scenery, animals, and building/industrial. But for some reason I don't like personal type of pictures like family and friends, maybe I'm cold lol.

Anyway I thought of getting a camera and take it with me to st. lucia and shoot scenery, hiking around, street, buildings, the beaches, social gathering etc. I thought it would be cool to blow up some great quality pics and put them in frame on the walls. Also keep going taking pictures when I get back home in Oakville, Ontario (Canada). I thought it better to get a camera to get good quality pictures instead of using my galaxy note 4.

What camera do you guys recommend for me? not crazy high... probably something an entry level to start. My problem is I'm limited to retail stores because my flight is on Thursday and I'm assumed the stores I can go to get a camera are best buy, staples, costco, henry's and other places I don't know that sells camera

I have no clue on the budget lol

I'm guessing cheaper the better without sacrificing the sharp picture quality so I can use the pictures to frame them and put them on the wall

Go pick a few of them up and figure out what "feels right" - can you reach all the buttons easily? Do the menus make sense? Does the body feel too light or too heavy?
Do you want to change lenses? If not, consider a "bridge" camera or even a high-level point-and-shoot.

If you decide on a DSLR, most bodies in the same price range will have similar features.
Nikon DSLRs can use many lenses on the used market, which can save you money when you decide to expand.

I'm probably able to reach the buttons easily ... i'm 6ft, 195lbs guy and able to grip a basketball with one hand

can a "bridge" or high level P and S produce sharp and crisp pictures of landscape, scenery, building/industrial and animals for me to blow up in order to frame it and put them on my wall?

what about canon? are they better than nikon in my situation?

I'm probably able to reach the buttons easily ... i'm 6ft, 195lbs guy and able to grip a basketball with one hand

can a "bridge" or high level P and S produce sharp and crisp pictures of landscape, scenery, building/industrial and animals for me to blow up in order to frame it and put them on my wall?

A newer bridge camera might be fairly decent. That could be a good option. If it isn't enough for you, then obviously you resell, and go for something more heavy duty. I would say that's a smart start. Yes, a good new one would be able to do what you want.

They both make rubbish Bridge cameras.
You want a great bridge camera, go Panasonic or Sony.
FZ1000 is really good. RX10 mk2 if you have the budget.

after reading your posts... I think it wise for me to stick my galaxy note 4 for now for the trip because I'm leaving Thursday morning and I don't have time to look around at retail stores or can't even order online because of the time limit.... Beside I don't travel often so I rather wait and get a dslr and kit or a dslr with a great sale because I would like to do interesting pictures than some boring typical shots

Also If I get a great quality camera now, I won't have time to learn and study before the trip to take decent pictures. I can always come back to st. lucia another time because my family is from there and I'm sure this trip is not my last trip there anyway lol. I don't want to waste money on a point and shoot camera just for a trip, I don't think it a smart decision. I can save the money and put toward the decent camera fund or a len.

Do you have recommendation for those kind of cameras? just to keep my eye out for...

after reading your posts... I think it wise for me to stick my galaxy note 4 for now for the trip because I'm leaving Thursday morning and I don't have time to look around at retail stores or can't even order online because of the time limit.... Beside I don't travel often so I rather wait and get a dslr and kit or a dslr with a great sale because I would like to do interesting pictures than some boring typical shots

Also If I get a great quality camera now, I won't have time to learn and study before the trip to take decent pictures. I can always come back to st. lucia another time because my family is from there and I'm sure this trip is not my last trip there anyway lol. I don't want to waste money on a point and shoot camera just for a trip, I don't think it a smart decision. I can save the money and put toward the decent camera fund or a len.

Do you have recommendation for those kind of cameras? just to keep my eye out for...

It really depends on how much you want to invest. I would look at the Sony A6300, Nikon D7100, Nikon D7200, or Canon 80D. One of those cameras would make a decent entry-level camera. Then comes the cost of lenses.

If you really want to get something great, look to the Nikon D610, D750, or Sony A7-ii.

If I went to St Lucia, I would bring my Olympus TG4

It really depends on how much you want to invest. I would look at the Sony A6300, Nikon D7100, Nikon D7200, or Canon 80D. One of those cameras would make a decent entry-level camera. Then comes the cost of lenses.

If you really want to get something great, look to the Nikon D610, D750, or Sony A7-ii.

Does any of these cameras better for landscape/scenery, wildlife, street, and building/architecture?

What ? There are places on the world that do not have that most basic bundle ?

P.s.: Just for the record, IMHO a 5200 >> D3300 and I dont know if they are still sold new, but they've been cheaper than the D3300.

Also, refurbished D7100 is the secret tipp to get a professional grade camera ultra cheap ... unfortunately thats not an offer thats found here in Europe, either, so if Canada doesnt have it I wouldnt be surprised.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back