First decent studio strobe.

MikeBcos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I picked up a nice "beginner kit" to go with my "beginner" camera this evening. A Photo Basics by Westcott 150w/s strobelight with an 8 foot stand and a 45" umbrella. I bought a cactus trigger last week and have been having fun playing.

Now I just need to learn to use it properly.

Have fun. Just remember to put the camera into manual mode and start testing from there.

Been there, done that.... I think all of us have at one point or another.

I don't have a cat...but my daughter has a life-like looking baby doll that freaks me out all of the time :???:. Pretty good for test shots.

I took about 600 test portraits of the cat last night. :lol:

Cars are fun. They are challenging, specular and they never complain.

Oh... the cat! How in the heck did you get it to stand in one pose long enough to press the trigger??? :lol:

Not to worry, the next time it sees you with the camera, it is likely so traumatized, it will tear for some dark secluded spot.

Oh... the cat! How in the heck did you get it to stand in one pose long enough to press the trigger??? :lol:

Not to worry, the next time it sees you with the camera, it is likely so traumatized, it will tear for some dark secluded spot.

Is it bad that I get this reaction from family and friends?? :lmao:

She was asleep, I just set the lighting up around her. :lol:

Actually she makes a pretty good subject, she's black and white so I was having fun last night setting everything not to blow the highlights and still leave detail in the dark areas.

It was all going well until she woke up and looked up at the umbrella hanging over her just as I took a photo - she was NOT happy! :lol:

My family won't come anywhere near me when I'm holding a camera!

Here's one of my attempts. The main light was above and slightly to the left of the frame, I was using my SB400 at 1/32 power as fill light and to trigger the main flash. I think a reflector to the right would bring out the detail in the blacks.

C&C of my lighting greatly appreciated.

lolie_face.jpg

My family won't come anywhere near me when I'm holding a camera!

Here's one of my attempts. The main light was above and slightly to the left of the frame, I was using my SB400 at 1/32 power as fill light and to trigger the main flash. I think a reflector to the right would bring out the detail in the blacks.

C&C of my lighting greatly appreciated.

Wow....talk about a good pet to practice on. With both the deep black & bright white, you will sure learn to balance the exposure.

I think the fill light is too much in line with the lense. You are very close to getting retinal reflection (red-eye in people...animals vary). Get your fill light off camera, maybe off to the right a little....or rotate the head towards your right shoulder, into a reflector to bring fill into the right side of the face.

Try checking out this site...might give you a few ideas:

Foundations of Lighting Placement

Wow....talk about a good pet to practice on. With both the deep black & bright white, you will sure learn to balance the exposure.

I think the fill light is too much in line with the lense. You are very close to getting retinal reflection (red-eye in people...animals vary). Get your fill light off camera, maybe off to the right a little....or rotate the head towards your right shoulder, into a reflector to bring fill into the right side of the face.

Try checking out this site...might give you a few ideas:

Foundations of Lighting Placement

Thank you, the link and advice are greatly appreciated!

The SB400 will only tilt upwards, it won't swivel, however, I have a wireless trigger I can use to fire the main flash, then I have a slave with an optical trigger I can position to the right, I'll mess with that set-up and see what I can do.

Most reactions

Back