First dslr camera for me

Interesting I wonder if its a Canada thing, you may be able to get a new one from a US supplier.

it probably is because I just checked out at least a few stores and they don't have them on their sites

I'm thinking of getting the D5300 with the 18-55mm that I can sell 18-55mm for a premium in a way because we can not get them separately here in canada and have to get it in the states which costs $250 plus US shipping, customs and canadian shipping costs as well. So I can sell the 18-55mm high enough that make my D5300 cheaper than the body itself from the store here and I will probably get the 35mm 1.8 prime len

I could get the D5300 or D7100 with 18-140mm but eventually it going to be harder to sell the 18-140mm because it available everywhere both used and new. Also I read that people usually get around 200mm len so what is the point of getting the 18-140mm kit anyway... same goes for D7100 with 18-105mm

There are many adjectives I would have for the 18-55; great isn't one of them.

There are many adjectives I would have for the 18-55; great isn't one of them.

Lol ok... I do agree with you ... same goes for 18-140mm kit

So would it be better to just get a D5300 or D7100 body and get a decent len

Last edited:
D7100 body for $589

Nikon D7100

Then buy whatever lens you want.
I live in canada ... it $900 new and $50 cheaper refurbished/used

Check photoprice.ca to see price comparison between stores

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interesting I wonder if its a Canada thing, you may be able to get a new one from a US supplier.

it probably is because I just checked out at least a few stores and they don't have them on their sites

I'm thinking of getting the D5300 with the 18-55mm that I can sell 18-55mm for a premium in a way because we can not get them separately here in canada and have to get it in the states which costs $250 plus US shipping, customs and canadian shipping costs as well. So I can sell the 18-55mm high enough that make my D5300 cheaper than the body itself from the store here and I will probably get the 35mm 1.8 prime len

I could get the D5300 or D7100 with 18-140mm but eventually it going to be harder to sell the 18-140mm because it available everywhere both used and new. Also I read that people usually get around 200mm len so what is the point of getting the 18-140mm kit anyway... same goes for D7100 with 18-105mm

Stores are able to split the kit and sell you just the body if you ask.

Stores are able to split the kit and sell you just the body if you ask.
I don't get the purpose of that? Knowing they have body to sell by itself...

Hi

I want to get into photography and I don't know which camera suitable for me.

I want to do landscape, night, candid moments, macro and street/buildings. I would love to eventually in the future to sell fine art prints.

I don't really have a budget but can you suggest a camera in each price range and why?

Thanks

For the range of work that interests you, Pentax is a viable option. A K-3II (APS-C) or a K-1 FF, or a used K-3. The new K-70 has the same astrophotography features and 24Mp Sony sensor from the K-3, an articulating screen that's a revelation for macro work, and is a bargain starter/mid range/enthusiast camera- $650 for the body.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I can't really do landscape much because where I live there aren't a lot of like mountainous, waterfalls, big open greenery.. probably do like walking trails through the forest, seasonal weather of the fall and winter... some close ups on fall leaves or snow for example

I found this guy on flickr ... he got D7100 and use 35mm 1.8... look good

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tornas...7634865896588/

I like close up/macro/bokeh... mother nature, food (because I'm a pastry chef) and interesting things to have a close up on to get a unique perspective

street photography ... I don't mean taking pictures of people on the street, not my type ... more like pictures of an alley, or graffiti arts, or something appealing of the street and taking pictures in a clever way with depth (some will have close ups) and/or unique perspective and angle of the photos... and if people in my camera view then they are in it lol... i guess you can say street landscape in a way

I don't want to do astro, birds, and portrait

hope this clarify a bit

Hi

I want to do landscape, night, candid moments, macro and street/buildings. I would love to eventually in the future to sell fine art prints.

I don't really have a budget but can you suggest a camera in each price range and why?

Thanks

For the range of work that interests you, Pentax is a viable option. A K-3II (APS-C) or a K-1 FF, or a used K-3. The new K-70 has the same astrophotography features and 24Mp Sony sensor from the K-3, an articulating screen that's a revelation for macro work, and is a bargain starter/mid range/enthusiast camera- $650 for the body.

For the love of God, don't get a Pentax. The users are all weird and annoying and spend their time whining about why stores don't carry their brand.

That's when they're not busy digging thrift stores for old Pentax lenses.

Hi

Thanks

For the love of God, don't get a Pentax. The users are all weird and annoying and spend their time whining about why stores don't carry their brand.

That's when they're not busy digging thrift stores for old Pentax lenses.

OP, beware- Nikon owners tend to contract multiple debilitating and highly infectious brain infections in a short period of time (similar to BMW Syndrome), and you really don't want to be associated with that kind of thing, do you? Perhaps you might check out Canon if Pentax doesn't strike your fancy. :)

Lol I'm not getting involved between you two

But for canon, what do you recommend that is better than D7100 for the same price?

haha yeah .. that was quite a bit of jargon for me :p

I went to henry's today and the sales guy recommend the D5300 because he usually recommend for people who will grow into it and if they want to upgrade then do so in the distant future with a better body. But he recommends to try to get the best lenses first than upgrading the body because the lenses make a better improvement rate comparing to the bodies.

He said D5300 is suitable for me because of the swivel screen will help with the macro shots so I don't have to bend down as much. Also help with the street/candid shots if I positioned the camera at my stomach area so people won't know that I took a picture. Another point he made was the GPS to help locate the locations when I do landscape and street. It a little better ergonomically than the D3300.

He said the D3300 is fine but only for people who just want to move from their P&S to a basic dslr and be done with it. He said it most likely a problem for people who want to grow and they will grow quickly with the D3300 and want to upgrade already. So he think overall the financially may not best to go from D3300 to D5xxx in a short time. This is why he recommends the D5300, so people can grow in it and there is a chance that D5500 might be good enough for most people as their final camera as well.

I tried handling the D3300, it a bit small for me because my hands are big enough to hold a basketball with one hand lol

He also suggested D7200 if I want to push the budget and the build quality is better than D5300 because of the weather seal resistant. But doesn't have the swivel screen to help the macro, candid and unusual angle shots.

What do you guys think?.. I just hoped I got everything from the discussion from the sale rep

All what he says makes perfect sense. D5300 would be a great start, but if D7200 feels more comfortable in your big hands and you do not mind spending a bit more, go for it, it is a better body with better controls and is really worth it.

Lol I'm not getting involved between you two

But for canon, what do you recommend that is better than D7100 for the same price?

Haha, I got nothin'. :( But unless you're looking to be a sports photographer, or state of the art DSLR video is a must (Canon, Sony), Pentax is worth an open look- all I was suggesting, before the inevitable trashing. :)

Most reactions

Back