First dSLR shots - C&C

TheBoombaGnome

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys!

As you all may know, I'm on the hunt for a dSLR...I'm sick of my point and shoot. And last night only solidified that feeling...
A friend of mine's parents have a Canon Rebel XSi (the camera I'm looking at getting) that they got with their AMEX card rewards points. We took it out last night, and even though the lens was jacked up (focus part was bent, and it couldn't zoom), I was able to get this one picture that turned out the way I wanted it to. The rest were of the sky and stuff and we couldn't get the focus right...but this one turned out really well...Just wondering what you guys think of it...

f/5.6, 1/10 sec, ISO-400

4591955045_0e1fa139f6.jpg

I did a little PP work to turn it black and white, but other than that...didn't really edit anything...

Thanks guys!!

TBG

Nice shot TBG, looks like you've reached the boundaries of your old cam and need to move on to a new one indeed! :)

Love the highlights but do think the image is a bit underexposed, here's a quick 2sec edit (boosted the curves and cropped it a bit):

tbg001.jpg

//edit: might have pushed it a bit too much though haha

But doing this in post creates some extra noise, already visible in the thumbnail. Would be better to get the exposure a bit brighter in camera. When you are using A/T/P/Auto mode, try looking at the info to get the f-stop/time and then go into manual and try to get a bit more light into it...never hurts to experiment ;-)

Now go and get yourself a DSLR and shoot more nice pics like this :D

Nice shot TBG, looks like you've reached the boundaries of your old cam and need to move on to a new one indeed! :)

Love the highlights but do think the image is a bit underexposed, here's a quick 2sec edit (boosted the curves and cropped it a bit):

tbg001.jpg

//edit: might have pushed it a bit too much though haha

But doing this in post creates some extra noise, already visible in the thumbnail. Would be better to get the exposure a bit brighter in camera. When you are using A/T/P/Auto mode, try looking at the info to get the f-stop/time and then go into manual and try to get a bit more light into it...never hurts to experiment ;-)

Now go and get yourself a DSLR and shoot more nice pics like this :D

I definitely see what you were getting at with that. I'll play around with it a little in Lightroom in the morning...

I love your idea as far as figuring out good lighting and what not...VERY good idea (if I get my hands on it again soon, I will definitely give it a shot)...

I plan on getting it ASAP :)

Thanks again for the comments!!

TBG

Most reactions

Back