First DSLR?

ryancz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I posted similar in the welcome/intro subforum, but probably better here.
I am a high school student (read: pretty much broke, and haven't even gotten to college yet) and am interested in getting more into photography as a hobby. I have looked at cameras and such (online) and I am leaning towards the Nikon D3200. Is this a good base to learn on and move forward with, upgrading lenses*and such?
Any other details or background you guys think might help you help me?

$ a factor? If so you can get a Nikon D5100 pretty cheap in the body only flavor: Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) 25476 B&H Photo Video = $446.95 & that's a hard deal to beat. That's $250 off. That's $250 you can put into a Nikon 85mm 1.8G or Nikon 50mm 1.8G and good to go. Yeah, it's got the older 11 point AF from the D90 but it ain't bad.

Money is definitely a factor (near-broke high schooler) and I will have to save a bit anyway, but that deal looks great. How long will it last?
Compared to the D3200, they both have features I like, but it's usually one or the other.
I've seen videos and such comparing them, and never found a conclusion.

ryancz said:
Money is definitely a factor (near-broke high schooler) and I will have to save a bit anyway, but that deal looks great. How long will it last?
Compared to the D3200, they both have features I like, but it's usually one or the other.
I've seen videos and such comparing them, and never found a conclusion.

Don't know how long it'll last. I imagine until stock runs out but there's quite a few places running that same deal. Or you can go refurb as suggested above.

honestly I'd probably try to find a used D3100 or else go for a D90.

The D5100 has better image quality than the D3100, but just starting out, building a glass collection with your money is probably more important. The D90 is a large feature upgrade, as you get 2 control wheels and CLS commander mode (amongst other things).

To me, the D5100 sits in an awkward middle ground. It's probably better than true beginners need, but it's not full featured enough to be a camera you'll never need to replace if you stay in the hobby. A D90 can shift into a solid backup camera role down the line should you become more into the hobby, and they retain decent resell value. A D5100 will be hard to sell down the road, as really only beginners buy them, and beginners don't buy used. And once you go to dual command wheels, you'll find the D5100 is annoying to try to use.

I prefer the D5100 over the D5200/D3200.

The D5200/D3200 have a newer sensor with more resolution, and they manage more color depth. However, the D5100/D7000 sensor has substantly more dynamic range and better high ISO performance, both of which have more practical value to me, and their resolution and color depth are still very high (and are very quickly higher than D5200/D3200 at higher ISO values).

Also, I love the flip screen of D5100/D5200. It allows you to shoot at angels where you otherwise will have to shoot blindly. Its really sad the D5100/D5200 are the only Nikon cameras with this feature.

So I guess try to find a good deal on the D5100 when I have the money to buy it?
From what you guys have said and the comparison videos I've seen, the D5100 is the better option.
I am definitely looking for good overall performance, and the D5100 looks so much better in low light.

So I guess try to find a good deal on the D5100 when I have the money to buy it?
From what you guys have said and the comparison videos I've seen, the D5100 is the better option.
I am definitely looking for good overall performance, and the D5100 looks so much better in low light.

get the d3200 with the kit lens. I wouldn't recommend getting a prime lens (one that doesnt zoom) for a first lens. Prime lenses are very good but can be a hindrance when you are learning the basics of composition. The d3200 is a great camera and will be able to do exactly what you need it to do. As someone else said you could also look for a d90 which is also a great camera. You should be able to find them for a reasonable price used now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back