First go at portrait

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by Carman, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Carman

Carman TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok so I got a new 50mm 1.8 lens yesterday, primarily for me to do some portraits. This is pretty much my first go ever at portraits with a DSLR.

This is a shot of my sister. I wanted to go for something really natural..she is looking at herself in the mirror. I desaturated it down to about -80% which I think is nicer than pure B&W because it keeps the photo looking a little warmer. I think the door frame on the right works well because it gives it an almost candid feel, making it appear more natural.

[​IMG]

With hindsight I think it should have possibly been taken the other side, regarding to the window behind her.

THis second one was a little more contrived. She was just messing around whilst I took lots of photos. I like this one the best, becasuse the shallow DOF really highlights the eyes. This one is pure B&W.

[​IMG]

I'm loving the 50mm lens...for the price it is so good. I love the shallow DOF you can get.

Comments & constructive criticism very welcome as always.

2. GeorgeUK

GeorgeUK TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I bought the same lens for the same purpose! :)

#1 - I like the effect of -80% desat, works well.

I think #2 needs to be a touch sharper.

Keep up the good work :thumbup:

3. Lyncca

Lyncca TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with the comments above. I bet she liked both of them. Nice job :)

I bought this lens a few weeks ago to do some new born pics (she's due in a couple of days!) I've practiced with it around the house and love it! I have some wonderful natural lit pictures of my boxer, so I can't wait to use it again.

4. Early

Early TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like the lighting on #1, but I think it needs to be re-cropped getting the model to slightly left of center. The pic is also tilted.