First HDR Atttempt

Eventer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleclarke.co.nz
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well as of about an hour ago I didnt even know what HDR stood for. Let know what its was. All I knew was it made photos look awesome!
Soo I've spent ages on youtube tutorials and I downloaded the free version of the Photomatix program. Then a grabbed my camera and took the photos of a random subject (our paddock LOL) and ATTEMPTED to make a nice HDR photo. well for my first go did I do okay? or did I screw it up completly? :lol:

26777_377266689101_647904101_3791046_554676_n.jpg

WOOHOO! thats good. I have no clue how to do it "properly" i dont think. im just playing around and getting the hang of it :D

I did this one too. but i think i MAY have over done it?
wl6r1g.jpg

That's the overall idea. Looks fine as an HDR although obviously a better subject would make the photograph much more likable. You *did* accomplish what you set out to do though.

Eventer, the first one has some blob areas around the trees where the HDR "carved out" some dark area of the clouds. That doesn't look good, but everything else does.

Yeah i noticed that, and that blob by the power pole, i THINK (because i dont have a tripod i set the camera quite low down on a object close to the grass) its some sort of bug/ grassy thing LOL

errmmm...

Wow, I just posted on another HDR thread. Ok, I'll do another. :)

IMO, your treatments are over the top and wind up looking not only surreal but a little broken due to some of the extreme treatment decisions you've made... wonky edges, odd colors, an almost "embossed" look, etc.

Now, mind you... HDR and how you handle it is a religious topic. There is not a right or wrong answer, but for me HDRs should be subtle and simply allow you to see more of what the camera is not able to see in a single exposure.

If you'll forgive me for posting images in your thread, here are a couple examples of my own...

==1==
Salem%20Courthouse%20and%20Library%20-%20019%20TrueSight%20-%20rev2.jpg

==2==
CBRE%20-%20One%20Alewife%20-%20052%20-%20hdr.jpg

With each of these, unless you really knew what you were doing, you would probably not even know they were HDRs.

Now as for what to do specifically differently... that's a tougher question. These tools are wonky and each scene and the various exposure and color balance choices you make can all be these huge variables in the equation. You have to kinda play. Move any given slider all the way to one side and then the other to see what the results are, and then try to find out where inbetween those two you want to be. Over time you develop a bit more of a knack for it.

And obviously, you will also develop your own style... be it more like what you have here, or perhaps something closer to what I've done... or something else entirely.

Your camera, your rules... but for me, what you've done here is not ideal.

Good luck with it.

I like your photos alot, Thanks for posting them makes it alot easier to understand when you post photos too :D
Yeah i know what you mean - only if they were compared with originals would I even know they were HDR (Total noob)
Ill have another go tommorow i think and try be more subtle :D
I find it Quite difficult to photos of good things - Im never sure on a subjuect (Might need to invest in a tripod too instead of relying on fence posts :lol: )

Glad I could help. Good luck!

Most reactions

Back