First HDR

Sep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I generally have problems with my composition and finding interesting subjects. I took this picture in Germany. Months later(now) I've finally started messing around with the RAW files. Photography is just a small hobby so my learning in the field is rather slow. As the title says this is my first HDR. I'd appreciate all comments. Thanks.

IMG_14675_4_3_2_1.jpg

Post original/s?

I really like it, See the top where the roof hangs out. Try to do another exposure with a slower shutter speed to get that a little brighter and do one more exposure with a faster shutter speed than the fastest one you used already. This way you will get more of the clouds in the windows, where some is blown out, and you will get more detail in the dark overhang in the top of the picture. Hope this makes sense, it was sorta tricky to explain, I love the picture though, cool building!

I really like it, See the top where the roof hangs out. Try to do another exposure with a slower shutter speed to get that a little brighter and do one more exposure with a faster shutter speed than the fastest one you used already. This way you will get more of the clouds in the windows, where some is blown out, and you will get more detail in the dark overhang in the top of the picture. Hope this makes sense, it was sorta tricky to explain, I love the picture though, cool building!
I really appriciate your input, I havn't been able to get any until now. I did using 1 1/2 increments and I did 5 altogether. So basically what your saying is make it a 7.

I really appriciate your input, I havn't been able to get any until now. I did using 1 1/2 increments and I did 5 altogether. So basically what your saying is make it a 7.

Yep. One more on the slow end, maybe 2 stops slower than your current slowest, and one faster maybe like 2 stops. I haven't done many HDR's but I reaallllly like them so I have read a lot about them, but I don't have a tripod yet, so that makes it pretty tricky, lol

Yep. One more on the slow end, maybe 2 stops slower than your current slowest, and one faster maybe like 2 stops. I haven't done many HDR's but I reaallllly like them so I have read a lot about them, but I don't have a tripod yet, so that makes it pretty tricky, lol
As long as you have have one RAW copy you can make an HDR with that RAW file. I personally learned about HDR yesterday when I first made this. So there was no way for me to go back to Germany take a bunch of pictures and come back. From my readings, the downfall to making a HDR from a single RAW file is that your colors tends to come out a bit less rich and you have some less detail. Also, I did the HDR using 7 brackets and the clouds were still blown out. I might just do a bit of photomanupilation and get a contrast cloud from the original picture and put it in the HDR image,even though I'm not a big fan of too much photoshop.

The scene itself doesn't look to have a very high dynamic range. IMHO Not a good candidate...

i am just learning photography. im into the hdr imaging. nice shot. i just set it to my background. no joke. thx

I like this photo as a photo, not particularly as an HDR. I love the perspective of the buidling, and the colours and contrast make it really stand out. However, it doesn't seem like an HDR; the little parts of the image that "should" have had an effect from using the HDR process, the bright windows and the dark overhang, seem not to. The clouds are blown out and the overhang is barely visible. It's a shame, because the overhang actually looks like it has a great pattern on it.

Still, it's a great photo, just not a great HDR :).

Oh I see. I thought you did it with 5 seperate exposures. I never had much luck with Using one exposure so I gave up trying LOL

I figured this was a single exposure deal, which sucks because the clouds really do distract from the overall image (considering we're meant to be looking at an HDR). If youre going to be photographing something like this, it is best to use multiple exposures instead of doing it the single exposure way (especially if that exposure is a JPEG).

NIce original shot, I really like it. Not too bothered about the blown-out clouds to be honest, but if I were you I'd correct the pincushion distortion in PP.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back