first landscape in a while, and first real photoshop use in a while.

newrmdmike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
_DSC4565-Edit.jpg

love the DOF

(In a voice two octaves deeper than usual) "This is daaaark"!
Could go into the darkside gallery, actually.
Wow.
What did you do in your "first real photoshop use in a while"?
And is the DOF really DOF or is the blur in the background "man-made" ... I mean "PS-made" ... you KNOW what I mean!!???

well, i have been staying away from photoshop lately, i only use it for sharpening. but, on landscape shots where i don't wait for the right light i thought it would be fun to use it for a change. In rangefinder there was an artical about dan burkholder (he wrote printing with digital negatives) and it made me remember some of his techniques . . .

DOF is really fake, and i figured someone would call me out on it . . .

i made a merged copy of my layers, added some diffused glow, then applied a gaussian blur to that layer. i turned the opacity down some and masked off the areas i wanted in focus. i still don't have the effect working the way i want, i haven't figured out a way to make a better fake bokeh, but maybe i'll figure it out.

oh-oh! have got to share this technique of contrast adjustment! it was in the article i read.

make a hue-saturation adjustment layer, desaturate the image.
select color ranges (it will select based on luminosity now since its b&w) then select areas you want to change the contrast of, feather the selection and make it the mask of a curves layer, voila!

if you are working in color it also works nice, just turn the hue/sateration adjustment layer on and off to make the curves changes.

oh-oh! have got to share this technique of contrast adjustment! it was in the article i read.

From your description of method I think you will find it to have originated here.
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/photoshop/articles/phscs2mrblkwht.html
I've played around with it for B&W conversions and found it gives you the nearest thing to shooting B&W film with filters.

PS I would like to see the shot before you PSed the background. The foreground is pretty cool and you've done a very nice conversion.

hertz, that article is way off from what i did . . . although i use the channel mixer alot. it didn't originate there, it originated from dan burkholder, look him up! he's got lots of good tips. -find the article in this months rangefinder.

its literally talking about a color range selection. . . but on a desaterated version of the image your working with. put that selection on a mask for your curves adjustments.

below is the out of camera image. (with the wrong color profile, its way more saturated than that)

_DSC4565.jpg

It's a nice shot.
And I think a straight B&W conversion as is would work better without playing with the background.
I see what you mean about the article.
I just find the Adobe method a quick way of simulating Wratten 9, 21 and 25 filters with B&W film.

the kicker is the small file is all i have of the bw version, so i'll be starting over on that one! :(

hehe, yeah, it won't be the same, but i'm sure i can get it somewhat close.

Wow! Very nice. I wish I was sitting right in the middle of this in a white dress :) < I have no idea where that came from :)

Most reactions

Back