First Lighting Set Up

Kyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good afternoon :)

I really hate NOT being in control. So I think I would love having a lit studio set up so that I can always control the amount of light.

I am just afraid of that cheap, fake looking photos that some lighting set ups can produce. I really love the natural look for portraits.

So my question is for a beginner, can I get a cheap lighting set up and learn with it and upgrade later or is it not even worth it to buy the cheap ones? Something like this....

2400w Video Photography Light Umbrella Lighting Kit NEW | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Its not so much the cost of lights it is the way they are used. If you prefer natural lighting I suggest trying to master natural lighting instead of trying to re-create it with artificial light.

Well I do love natural lighting and will continue to work with it, but if I have a studio session set up and it is a dark dreary day, there is only so much I can do.

Thats true. I think if you can afford 2 strobe lights and umbrellas and a soft box you can create some great images.

i own two hot lights similar to the ones in that add, and theyre not bad, if you setup your White balance the right way you can get some nice photos out of them. But of course you can't beat a nice pair of strobes. And if those lights are 45watts like they say, it must be very bright.

The lights that made these shots cost a lot less than those, and they are proper studio lights but old that i bought years ago and have never let me down, the only continuos lights i would buy would cost you about $2000

1221199252_3XEPP-L.jpg

1192076096_iKaiW-L.jpg

1235138845_VioXF-L.jpg

Don't use the on camera flash please. They suck. Get a cube and a sync chord

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No need to be sorry :) I have no clue what is crap or what is good :) I didn't intend to use my on camera flash solely.....

Purchasing lighting seems so intimidating.

You need lights that are at least 150 watts. You need light stands that go up at least 8 feet. You need light modifiers that are at least 40 inches.

Any less than that you are wasting your money. I recommend strobed lighting over continuous because with strobed lighting you can control the amnbient light separtely from the strobed light.

Continuous light just adds to the ambient light and cannot be exposed for separately.

Before you go spending mony, learn how to tell crap lighting equipment from good lighting equipment.

In all honesty if you're spending much under $400 (new) for 2 lights, stands, and umbrellas, you're likely buying crap gear.

Thanks everyone. I want to set this all up in my finished basement. I love the look of ambient light but I'm sick of spending an hour rearranging my living room to set up every time I have a photo shoot lol.

So if you had $250 to spend right NOW, what would you get? I have a Canon Rebel XS, with just the on camera flash right now. Where would you START in building a studio set up?

Thank you!

If I had $250 right now, I would get a savings account and add to it.

If this is something you want to do you need too save up a bit. In the world of studio lighting there are some good lower priced options, but not really for $250.
Most of the stuff you will buy in this range will be under powered and you will not be able to get good quality modifiers for them.
If you want to do Portraits, save up and get "Real" strobes, something you can put a softbox on.

For a budget option look at Alien Bees, For an inexpensive light with good modifiers they are a good choice, and if you want to upgrade later there are always tons of people that will buy them used.

Most reactions

Back