first photo's, would like some tips

Corneel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I'm also new on this forum and I've only recently began shooting. these are my first photo's and I would like some comments on them.
ps I photoshopped the first one (very simple because i don't know a lot about photoshop, but i liked the result nevertheless)

feel free to give (hard) critic

DSC_0007pp.jpg

If your looking for "hard" critique, I think the first one is noisy and over exposed, 2nd is boring, noisy, dark, and out of focus. I really really like the 3rd though. Awesome composition. Keep shooting though, you'll never improve if you don't!

the first 2 just dont interest me at all, but the 3rd i think is great, maybe a little dodging on the drump set might help bring out the details

I agree...I am not a fan of the first two...the third i like quite a lot...

the first almost looks like a weird colored sketch to me

dun like the 1st or 2nd one...i really liek the third one. nice shot

You can imbed more than one image per post instead of making a new post for each image.

The first 2 images are gone, so.....no comment.

#3 Very dark. Underexposed by 1.7 stops. Not necessarily bad, if purposeful. It does give a sense of mystery. Some will explore the darker recesses of the image but most will just move on.

Our brain knows brighter things are usually closer to us, with darker things in the background. So, the light colored square panels on the wall are the primary (or dominant) element in the image and the eye goes there first. The secondary element is the drummers bright white t-shirt and thats where our eye goes next. It takes a couple of seconds to realize it's a drummer doing his thing because the drum set comprises tiertiary and quantary elements.

A play:
1.jpg

The first 2 images are gone, so.....no comment.

#3 Very dark. Underexposed by 1.7 stops. Not necessarily bad, if purposeful. It does give a sense of mystery. Some will explore the darker recesses of the image but most will just move on.

Our brain knows brighter things are usually closer to us, with darker things in the background. So, the light colored square panels on the wall are the primary (or dominant) element in the image and the eye goes there first. The secondary element is the drummers bright white t-shirt and thats where our eye goes next. It takes a couple of seconds to realize it's a drummer doing his thing because the drum set comprises tiertiary and quantary elements.

A play:
1.jpg

the first two photo's are gone due to a problem with photobucket (also the first time i used photobucket). but thanks to earlier comments i now see clearly what the mistakes were in those two photo's, so that's alright.

your comment on my third photo is really helpful to me, i understand the black - white theory but i don't really understand the practical side. i mean what would you've done different? make the drummer the primary element?

thanks a lot, you're all being very helpful!

With the drummer and drum set lit, they move right into the foreground and become the primary element.

I don't make to many images indoors without at least a couple of speedlights. I'm kind of a control freak about light. Actually, I don't make to many outdoor portraits with out some kind of light control either.

The big advantage to using flash is the ability to essentially do 2 different exposures at once, one for the foreground and one for the background.

Because of the way the camera and light works, when you use flash, aperture controls the foreground exposure and shutter speed controls the exposure of the background. Motion blur is controlled by the flash, not the shutter speed. The duration of flash at full power is about 1/1000 sec. If you're in a situation where you can turn the flash power down, the flash duration becomes even shorter as you decrease the power, as short as 1/40000 sec at the lowest settings (like 1/128).

So, you can light the drummer and stop motion while at the same time darken the background with your shutter speed at or near your camera's sync speed, thus making the drummer your primary element.

With the drummer and drum set lit, they move right into the foreground and become the primary element.

I don't make to many images indoors without at least a couple of speedlights. I'm kind of a control freak about light. Actually, I don't make to many outdoor portraits with out some kind of light control either.

The big advantage to using flash is the ability to essentially do 2 different exposures at once, one for the foreground and one for the background.

Because of the way the camera and light works, when you use flash, aperture controls the foreground exposure and shutter speed controls the exposure of the background. Motion blur is controlled by the flash, not the shutter speed. The duration of flash at full power is about 1/1000 sec. If you're in a situation where you can turn the flash power down, the flash duration becomes even shorter as you decrease the power, as short as 1/40000 sec at the lowest settings (like 1/128).

So, you can light the drummer and stop motion while at the same time darken the background with your shutter speed at or near your camera's sync speed, thus making the drummer your primary element.

thank you very much for your explanation, but to be honest i don't really understand all of it (like i said before, this is one of my very first pictures and although i'm reading a lot about photography, i believe this may be a bit to difficult for the phase i'm in now) but if you have time and you think even a beginner could understand this feel free to try again :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back