first photoshoot with dslr...please comment!!! 2nd try

I think you have overall a really good eye for composition :) You have some problems in your photos that are too soft, missed focus, over flashed, and white balance issues. These are easier in my opinion to teach/correct than the artistic side.

I think for first time, pretty darn good :) WAY better than my first efforts for sure. I also like your use of the wide angle.

Hope that helps!

sorry 18 photos is far too many to comment on.. with #1 if your subject is your GF, the pic is not good, because shes out of focus...

I just liked the flower in it. I feel that I have a good ability to take the pics and what I want in them. However, I just learned photoshop this morning from a video by Scott Kelby. So my photoshopping and all that will get better with time. If you guys have any tips or anything that you think I should do different please let me know.

Eric

I just liked the flower in it. I feel that I have a good ability to take the pics and what I want in them. However, I just learned photoshop this morning from a video by Scott Kelby. So my photoshopping and all that will get better with time. If you guys have any tips or anything that you think I should do different please let me know.

Eric

Photoshop is a tool, not an excuse. As it stands, your images are inconsistent (which means that I would attribute #3 to beginner's luck, not forethought and planning, when looking at all of these images as a whole). Furthermore, was this a photoshoot for your girlfriend? A photowalk of the surrounding area? A time to take pictures of flowers? At the very least, if you want to get actually constructive comments, then post one, no more than three. If you're concentrating on the shoot, and telling a story with your images, you're not going to be distracted by a pretty flower.

All are taken with a 20d and a tokina 12-24 super wide. Some are taken with a 50mm 1.8. Please comment.
The next time try to limit the images to 3 or 4 when asking for C&C. Commenting on all 18 images isn't going to happen.
Don't be mean i'm really proud of them.
Do you want honest C&C or do you just want a pat on the back or a cheering section? Real C&C isn't always what you might want to hear but when mistakes or problems are pointed out it's with the intent that you learn from the comments and try not to make the same mistakes again. You learn from your mistakes and that's how you get better.
And don't be mean to the girl she's my girlfriend.
I don't think you have to worry about that...but if you're worried that you might get some unnecessary remarks, don't post images with her in them in the future.
Helpful criticism is very welcome though.
Like I said before, honest C&C won't always be what you want to hear but it's being given because there are problems with your images and the poster wants you to know about what they see. Most new photographers have a hard time giving themselves honest C&C...they're very biased because they took the shots. Getting C&C from others is a good way to get unbiased comments and they won't always be good. I hope you understand what I'm trying to get at...you really won't learn anything if people are always saying your pictures are nice and not giving you honest comments about your images.

sorry for interrupting. considering the crop factor, 12mm on a 20D is equal to 19mm on a full-frame right? its 1.6x for all canon?

I just want honest C&C... sorry if I put too many pictures.. I'm new to this and I've honestly never taken any photography classes. But I've enjoyed my time doing this more than anything I have in a LONG time. I just feel like if I'm atleast doing something right, this may be a step in my life I might want to take. So be honest please.

Thanks,
Eric

Some shots are good (3, 14), some shots are not (1, 2, 10, 11). I'm not sure if its just pure beginners luck.
Some are ok and can definatly be improved with applying some basic photography principles (15,17).

-Read up on the rules of thirds.
-While slanting an image can add some interest, make sure you slant the right image. -Some of yours should not be slanted, or maybe its just that your horizon line is crooked
-Some of your photos are underexposed, some are overexposed. Some are in focus, some are not.
-When shooting a model, make sure that the eyes are 100% in focus.

If you want to get some good critisism, post up 3-5 images. The people here who actually give good critisism (and not just an ego stroke) take the time to look at things and give thoughtful advice, which would take too long for all 18 images.

I find you do have an artistic eye though, something that I still struggle to get on a consistent basis.

Get those foundations down and start producing consistently good photos.

I would not worry about getting photoshop skills. I would definatly work at getting the photo in camera properly exposed, well cropped and nicely composed before really delving into photoshop.

Its a great tool to adjust some things, but I'm not a fan of image manipulation. But really, learn to get it good in camera before relying on a retouching software.

A great beginner book (one I bought and that is highly recommended) is Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

Most reactions

New Topics

Back