First portrait - c&c

sjconner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.conner-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first portrait. It was taken with natural light after the sun went below the horizon. It was overcast. I did minimal pp. I tried to smooth out the older girl's skin and tried out an unsharp mask on both sets of eyes. I am not sure about the pose. The tangle of arms is kinda confusing. The older girl has her arms around the younger one.

Thanks, Susan

It's a little bland to me as is, but if you were going for a more serious pose (because of the serious faces) this is how I would edit it:

pic.jpg

I first cleaned up the blemishes on her face, as best as I could from just saving this file. Then I warmed up the colors (I use PSElements, and use "adjust color for skin tone" and then adjust it from there manually) Then I added the detail brush to both their eyes to pop them out more, and finally increased the contrast on the whole picture.

I think the overall effect is that the lighting is warmer and more golden, and their serious faces match the "mood." Otherwise with the cool tones, I don't think it's a flattering light for either of the girls, with that expression. I like the posing, and I like that you including their hands. I might have the little girl lean into her sister (?) more because it looks like she's trying to get away, but I really like how you have her hand on top of her sister's.

I know it's easy to go over the top with photoshop, but I think it's vital to always at least clean up a woman's blemishes. That, to me, can make or break a photo.

Thank you for the suggestions. I don't normally take portraits when people are aware that I am taking their picture. I didn't really "pose" them - I had little sister sit between big sisters legs and had big sis hold her. I told them to both close their mouths and was rewarded with serious faces. I need to find more opportunities to practice posing people and taking portraits.

You got the eyes. And that is the first and most important part of a portrait. I really have not much to add to what was said. It's sometimes tough to get an environmental portrait to pop. But this is well composed and, um, YOU GOT THE EYES. Dead on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back