First proper go at using the flash

GDHLEWIS

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some critique is always welcomed. Finally decided to try the flash and new rogue one softbox together.
Flash compensates for around 1.5 stops. Exif should be on the photos if interested. Light location varied a fair bit as I had to hand hold it.
1489948899919.jpg
1489948903720.jpg
1489948907807.jpg

May the journey continue

Some good experimental shots with the Rogue One. One essential to keep in mind is this: Working in a confined space like a bathtub or shower location causes the source of the light to, in general, be very close to the subject. The closer the light source is to the subject, the more-rapidly the light falls off in intensity. This light behavior is regulated ed by a principle known as the Inverse Square Law. What the Inv. Sq. Law means in practice is that you'll get very "hot" highlights, and very deep, dark shadows when the light source is close to the subject, and as the light-to-subject distance increases, the rate of fall-off over distance becomes slower and slower and slower; by the 20 foot mark, the light will have almost no measurable falloff in intensity across say, a 10-foot wide picture area.

The bottom photo, the second B&W image, shows the Inverse Square Law at work, with very dramatic light falloff, in lighting that makes a real B&W impact type shot. I think you did very well on these in show the child's facial shape and structure. Hand-holding the flash is a time-proven technique to get varied lighting, fast, in situations like this. Good job on that.

I think you did alright with these shots!

One thing I have learned about bath/shower/boat cabin type shots is that exactly where the flash is placed can be very important, due to the small size of the space, and the short flash-to-subject distances normally involved. At times, bouncing the flash off of one surface is bad, but another surface is good, and maybe (maybe!) a third surface will be great, depending on the desired type of "look" to the flash lighting.

Thanks, slowly going through the strobists 101,102 etc. Bath tub was the only place I could keep the little still enough. But have plans for dinner time as well :)

May the journey continue

Yeah, the tub keeps 'em confined! My son liked to play with his Thomas The Tank Engine trains in the tub. (Percey, and James were other favorites engines.)

Yeah, the Strobist site has some fantastic tutorials. One suggestion I have that's not always mentioned is that, with newer d-slrs hav comke better and better medium- and high-ISO performance. It can be useful to boost ISO levels to 320,400,500,640,or 800 for even moderate-distance bounce flash work indoors, espewcially if the ceilings are high, or the room is large,etc.. it requires less flash, and alsao allows for faster flash recyle times too.

I really think that getting the ISO into the 400 to 640 range is worth it in terms of what that does for the flash's relative power-to-ISO setting performance. ISO 100 to 200 is one stop, 200 to 400 is the second stop, and then 500 is 2 and 1/3 stops and 640 is 2 and 2/3 stops more relative power...to me, that 2 and 2/3's more flash power means two and two-thirds more f/stops I can close down, and typically, about a 60 to 75 percent faster flash recycle time, potentially.

Will keep that in mind next time

May the journey continue

Most reactions

Back