JackRabbit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4856120472_80c67811f0_b.jpg

I think the soft glow meshes really well with the warm tone. Good picture.

the horizon is crooked, and i think a wider angle would have helped. and this is just my preference, but i think more sky would be cool.

Looks nice, i like the soft glow as Astonish put it.
would you be able to try again with a bit longer exposure to soften the water and waves out a bit? i think that would add a more dreamy effect to it.

I think it's too light. The sky is a very nice pink-sunsety colour but it's overexposed. I would have cranked down the aperature and gone longer on the shutter.

Dowing the aperature = more detail in the sky
Longer shutter = more dreamy water

As well, I can see a fair amount of dust spots here, just a quick run with the Heal tool will fix those.

BUT
For your first time shooting this type of subject, this is a great capture, JackRabbit.

Hope these comments help you -- keep shooting

The horizon looks level (but bowed) to me. I think what you are seeing is some pincushioning from the optics. Did you shoot this with the 55-250mm?

The horizon looks level (but bowed) to me. I think what you are seeing is some pincushioning from the optics. Did you shoot this with the 55-250mm?

I agree. I think it's level.

It looks soft to me, other than that I like the composition.

No I shot it with a 24-70L ha.

If I'm not mistaken, this was shot at 24mm. I can't use the 55-250 with my 1D ii haha

Seems weird that you would be seeing such evident distortion from a low zoom "L" series. Although you will definitely see more at the extreme ranges of a zoom.

I do like the tones here. This same shot with a CPL/ND filter would really shine. Could probably use some noise reduction on shadowed rocks.

No I shot it with a 24-70L ha.

If I'm not mistaken, this was shot at 24mm. I can't use the 55-250 with my 1D ii haha

Seems weird that you would be seeing such evident distortion from a low zoom "L" series. Although you will definitely see more at the extreme ranges of a zoom.

the 24-70 2.8L has a mild wide angle distortion at the short end of the range. I sometimes intentionally incorporate it into a shot as it gives a fun effect to candid kid shots.

Looks like a small amount of lens distortion is showing up in your horizon. You could remove the lens distortion in Photoshop or another software application if you'd like to. I kind of wish there were more of the rocks at the bottom, to 'anchor' the scene...I think the water and sky parts take up a bit too much of the total frame area, with around 50% or so being devoted to the water and the sky...I think the rocks need to be allotted a bit more of the frame to make me feel like I am really "in the scene". It's still a nice shot, but as you mentioned it is your first seascape, so we shouldn't expect a masterpiece.

Generally speaking you don't want to divide the space in a photograph such as this into equal parts. The horizon should be well above or well below the middle. The result you have here lacks drama ("dynamic tension") for that reason. You need to learn much more about composition:

http://www.smashandpeas.com/the-five-basic-rules-of-shot-composition/

Also, the tones are all sort of similar in value and color. It's better to have a much darker or lighter sky than the foreground, or much different color.

The shot is a bit crowded-looking too. Too many elements: needs to be simpler.

Yeah it definitely has some distortion at the wide side. I'm gonna be shooting a few more while I'm here this week so I'll post my results

Most reactions

New Topics

Back