first shot at splash pics...

RussJasper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was fairly hard to do these so the focus might not be 100%. pretty much my buddy was tossing chunks of dirt into the water so it was super tricky to actually get one that was both in frame and in focus. first time trying splash pics. would like to try again in a controlled setting. C&C appreciated along with any tips for next time.

no flash was used either because it was so sunny out.

cut off a bit but still okay

i love all kinds of water pictures, but these splash ones are amazing to me anyway, the first one is my favorite, very nice job.

i think you can be happy with your experiment. #2 has great colors and exposure (and focus), too bad about the composition. perhaps next time don't zoom in too close that way there's room for the entire splash to be in the frame. another thing to try is to drop something in a large glass jar or something so the item dropped can be in your picture as well which will add a lot to the story. have fun.

wim

what were your camera settings for these pics?

I agree w/ others. I think the pictures are great it's just the composition that's not all there.

I've never done splash pictures but I'd assume it's just about patience. Eventually you'll get a very nice splash :) Plus make sure he's dropping them right where you want.

Ya, it was very spur of the moment so I didn't really time them out. I might go back there and re-create those shots with more planning. I will try it with less zoom next time and maybe a slower shutter speed with a larger F/.

Settings are as follows: both shot with 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS

1)
Exposure: 1/2500 sec Aperture: f/5.0 Focal Length: 123 mm ISO Speed: 1600

2)

like somebody else mentioned, my next splash project is to use flash, a clear glass on white background, and drop and ice cube in or something. see how that works. a lot more controlled that way.

Ya, it was very spur of the moment so I didn't really time them out. I might go back there and re-create those shots with more planning. I will try it with less zoom next time and maybe a slower shutter speed with a larger F/.

Settings are as follows: both shot with 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS

1)

2)

like somebody else mentioned, my next splash project is to use flash, a clear glass on white background, and drop and ice cube in or something. see how that works. a lot more controlled that way.
they came out nice with a 1600 ISO good job

At that shutter speed you can also try stopping down the aperture a little more, this will give you more "margain for error" with the focus because you will have a greater depth of field.

Also, you could turn the ISO down a stop or two. If you go to ISO400 you'll still get 1/620 on the shutter which should still freeze that motion, with less noise in the photo.

Ya, the only reason I had those settings was because i was trying to freeze a waterfall part of the fountain. Next time i'll plan better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back