First shot with new camera...

Copa360

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, long story short, my previous camera got damaged and I was lucky enough to get a new one that is nicer. The one thing is, now I need to learn "how to get the most out of it". Until recently I was a "point and shoot" person, but with my last camera and especially this one, I would like to get good with setting things manually. It's a Canon PowerShot SX20 and it's got a lot of capabilities. This is the first scenic shot I took with it, about a week ago. Was wondering what everyone thought of the pic as it is, and any suggestions to get a clearer/better shot in the same situation. The full-size pic is here if anyone would like to see it: http://maricopa360.smugmug.com/photos/771970547_mhJ5V-O.jpg

771970547_mhJ5V-L.jpg

I think it could've been composed better. Perhaps a tighter crop and a more interesting angle? There is a lot of empty space that doesn't add anything to the image.

It appears soft. I can't tell where the focus lies. I would've liked to at least see the numbers in sharp focus.

Thanks for the input. To clarify, that is actually the unedited version of the photo. I did some cropping and PP before I uploaded it to my site. This is it after some minimal work:

761752307_TZfLV-L.jpg

The problem with the focus was that the train was actually moving, albeit slowly, at the time. With my previous camera, the auto-focus would lock on a moving target and stay with it by default. With this one, it did not. Therefore, in between the time it focused and the time it took the shot the train had moved a bit. :(

I actually liked seeing the tracks in the dirt because they lead the eye toward the subject, so for that reason alone, I think the uncropped is stronger. Having the subject dead center is what isn't working for me. Also I'd like to see more sky, less ground. I think if you got really close to the ground, used the rut in the mud as a line pointing toward the subject, this composition would emphasize the power of the train and even the tower. Just some ideas.

Most reactions

Back