jeffashman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After discovering that my R7's in-camera stacking abilities, I decided to give it a try. I found out that it doesn't work with my Tamron lens, so I tried it out with my Sigma 105mm macro on some orchids next to my desk. The camera processes the stacking in-camera and produced this jpeg. I'm going to see if I can take the series of raw files created and try to stack them in LR.

f/8 1/640 ISO 12800 on tripod, remote shutter
mar19202401 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Nice one! Wondering how many RAW files it needs for that. I'm guessing about 60 or 70.

What is the reason for such a high shutter speed mate?

Nice one! Wondering how many RAW files it needs for that. I'm guessing about 60 or 70.

What is the reason for such a high shutter speed mate?
Would you believe four raw files? And that is the in-camera jpg that was created from them. I have the raw files downloaded, and am trying to stack them in LR, but LR won't have it. Looked at PS Elements, but it doesn't stack. I have a couple of other progs that I will try tomorrow. Not sure, I could have certainly lowered it since it was on a tripod. Normally I have a high shutter speed set, because my hands have a high shake speed, and the camera just can compensate for that. Thanks!

Very nice shot! Have never tried stacking. You are lucky having in camera stacking, great convenience, one of the things that drew me to the OM-1 but alas the A7 I chose means doing it in post - your pic will spur me on to try this out though......one day.

Would you believe four raw files? And that is the in-camera jpg that was created from them. I have the raw files downloaded, and am trying to stack them in LR, but LR won't have it. Looked at PS Elements, but it doesn't stack. I have a couple of other progs that I will try tomorrow. Not sure, I could have certainly lowered it since it was on a tripod. Normally I have a high shutter speed set, because my hands have a high shake speed, and the camera just can compensate for that. Thanks!

Four at f8! Wow, that's a convenient camera right there! ✅

Nice start, focus stacking can get addictive. Whether it's in camera or post depends on how many layers you need to increase the DOF. As DOF is a function of aperture and distance to subject, for a landscape I might only use 3 or 4 layers, but for a macro where the DOF is razor thin, I use a Focus Rail for precise adjustments, and the layer count might be 50 or more, depending on the amount of detail I want in focus.

Very nice shot! Have never tried stacking. You are lucky having in camera stacking, great convenience, one of the things that drew me to the OM-1 but alas the A7 I chose means doing it in post - your pic will spur me on to try this out though......one day.
Thanks!
Nice start, focus stacking can get addictive. Whether it's in camera or post depends on how many layers you need to increase the DOF. As DOF is a function of aperture and distance to subject, for a landscape I might only use 3 or 4 layers, but for a macro where the DOF is razor thin, I use a Focus Rail for precise adjustments, and the layer count might be 50 or more, depending on the amount of detail I want in focus.
Thanks! Noted.

Ok lasses and laddies, here is a second attempt at stacking. Changed up the settings a bit, now that I have a little better understanding of what the camera is doing. The other thing I did was change the increment from the default focal change of 4 to 1.
55 raw images at f/4, 1/30, ISO 400.

mar20202401 by Jeff Ashman, on Flickr

Looks good, Jeff. Was this the in-camera stacked result? Photoshop does stacking and does it quite well.

I notice magenta bands in the petals and am wondering if it is natural or an artifact. If the exposures are a little bright, it is possible to max out one of the color channels in the lighter areas and that will shift the hue. Has nothing to do with stacking... but is often seen when photographing bright subjects with bright colors, like flowers.

Looks good, Jeff. Was this the in-camera stacked result? Photoshop does stacking and does it quite well.

I notice magenta bands in the petals and am wondering if it is natural or an artifact. If the exposures are a little bright, it is possible to max out one of the color channels in the lighter areas and that will shift the hue. Has nothing to do with stacking... but is often seen when photographing bright subjects with bright colors, like flowers.
Thanks! In camera stacked. The bands are natural, this is pretty much how these orchids look. I don't have PS, and have been trying to find a way to add it to my LR subscription, but Adobe doesn't seem to have that option available, they want me to cancel the LR sub, and replace it with the PS sub, but I'm concerned with losing everything uploaded if the plan is canceled. LR has stacking, but it won't do it for some reason, possibly because it won't stack DNG, not sure.

.... LR has stacking, but it won't do it for some reason, possibly because it won't stack DNG, not sure.
I don't think Lightroom Classic does focus stacking, except by editing in Photoshop. In other words, it is done in PS.

I don't think Lightroom Classic does focus stacking, except by editing in Photoshop. In other words, it is done in PS.
That may be why it is grayed out. Thanks! Mystery solved. Now to chat with Adobe on how to gracefully change plans.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back