480sparky

Chief Free Electron Relocator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
pixels.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Finally had a chance to get out and try my new (or rather, OLD), Kiron 70-150 f/4. This is made by Kino Precision Industries, and is, AFAIK, merely a rebranded Nikon Series E 75-150 f/3.8.

70mmpost.jpg

105mmpost.jpg

150mmpost.jpg

Full-size samples are available here:

http://www.filedropper.com/150mm

Looks pretty decent optically. Kiron/Kino Optics have long been associated with good quality lenses. They produced some of the Vivitar series 1 lenses (the earlier ones were superb, the later ones, not so much). If the serial number started with a 22, I think that denoted it was Kiron behind it. While old glass lacks a lot of the versatility of modern AF lenses, optically some of them performed superbly. If you wanted something a little longer, the old Nikkor 80-200mm f/4 Ai-s was a stunner. Even wide open on the D800 I was pretty amazed by it.

..... If the serial number started with a 22, I think that denoted it was Kiron behind it..........

It says Kiron right on it as well as Kino Precision Japan.

This is made by Kino Precision Industries, and is, AFAIK, merely a rebranded Nikon Series E 75-150 f/3.8.

News to me. Proof? BTW the Nikon was a 3.5. That wasn't an altogether rare zoom range for other makes.

....Proof?.......

Here ya go.

Nikkor 75-150mm Series E lens review

Read the next-to-bottom paragraph.

It's not uncommon for rebranded lenses to have different specs. The Rokinon / Samyang / Bower 14mm that's all the rage these days is 13mm when branded with a Vivitar logo. F/3.5 is only 1/3 stop from f/4.

..... If the serial number started with a 22, I think that denoted it was Kiron behind it..........

It says Kiron right on it as well as Kino Precision Japan.

I meant the Vivitar Series 1 lenses. If you had one and the serial number started with a 22, it meant it was produced by Kiron/Kino. Cosina was also another good manufacturer. If memory serves they make the Voigtlander stuff now.

......... Cosina was also another good manufacturer. If memory serves they make the Voigtlander stuff now.

I think they do. If you Google Cosina Lenses, you get a lot of Voigtländer responses.

I'd been eyeing their 40mm f/2 Ultron SL II a while back. Very sharp lens. Wish they'd stick an AF motor in it though lol.

I seriously thought of getting the 20 and 28mm, but the lack of AF, plus the price compared to AF-Ds, kept me away from 'em. Even a screw-drive AF would have been nice.

So said the "Kiron Kid." Not proven, sorry.

So said "cgw". So by your argument, you prove nothing.

I'm sorry someone hasn't posted the website "kinomanufacturedserieselensesfornikon.com"

Last edited:
Back in the day there was a lot of rebranding going on. Vivitar, Sears, Hanimex, Porst, Lester Dine, Soligor, Miranda, Centon, Sirius, Sunagor and a multitude of others, all made by the likes of Kino, Cosina, Tokina, Chinon, Schnieder Optik, Olympus etc.

A lot of companies also copied the optical and lens designs of others. Look at the Russian Zenit lenses like the Helios 44 which is a ripoff of the CZJ Biotar design of the exact same focal length and aperture. The Russians copied a lot of the German lenses, so it's not uncommon for some old glass to be virtually identical, or at least very similar. I wouldn't rule it out totally because you never know what went on behind closed corporate doors 40 years ago but, I would be surprised if Nikon rebranded a 3rd party lens and brought it into their own stable. I know the E series were the "poor man's alternative" in terms of their component materials. Maybe to cut costs they did use 3rd party housings but dropped in their own optics?

At the end of the day, it matter's not. It looks pretty decent optically and what you do with it is far more important.

yeah. I don't think you are going to like this. You should mail it to me and i will send you a check for 15 or 20 dollars.

Nice lens Sparky. Is this hanging on a film or digital Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back