First Time - C&C Please!

clintd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I posted this in the beginner’s forum, but I know different people read through different forums. This is my first post…but it is also my first time out shooting. These were taken at a local park. The subjects are my beautiful wife and my 6 year old adopted sister.

I was shooting with a Canon EOS 2000 35mm SLR (non-digital) with the 28-80 mm kit lense...shooting 400 speed film. I borrowed it from my parents to use for practice. Being a film camera, the shots are a little grainy...and I should have used 200 speed film at most. All natural light…a very bright sunny day, in the middle of the day. Less than ideal shooting conditions, I know. I am planning to buy a DSLR in the near future. These were all shot on either fully automatic or the automatic portrait setting. I have done a little PP, but not much. Mostly just some auto color enhancer and a slight bit of dash & burn on their faces using The Gimp.

Give me your honest C&C…I am a complete Noob, but I am eager to learn.

1. I know the sky and part of the background are very blown out. It was a bright sunny day. Also, this shot could have used a shallower DOF. And, I know that I cut off my wife's foot, and due to the pose, it looks as if she has no left arm...which she does.

SK-18X12scaleddown.jpg

2. Same shot as above, just a tighter crop.

SK-12X8scaleddown.jpg

3. I know that this shot would have benefited from a shallower DOF. Also, I wish I hadn’t cut my sister’s hand off in the shot. Again, sky and background are blown out, as is my wife’s skin a bit.

SK-Tracks1-scaleddown.jpg

4. I think this shot turned out really to be really neat…although it was an accident. Somehow, I missed the focus on them entirely. Instead the focus is on the tracks at the base of the image. But, I think it works. Again, sky is blown out.

SKTracksBW-14X15scaleddown.jpg

I apologize. Is there a way to delete the thread?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back