First time out with new lens & flash

Looks good, thanks.

I didn't think of quickly leaving the baby's suit out and adjusting the rest. I was definitely watching out not to blow it out while editing. His outfit was made of satin or something and it picked up all sorts of colors. I tried to use it to set the WB...but it gave crazy results every time.

I don't know if my monitor at work (CRT) is so far off...or if my calibrated LCD at home is not calibrated very well....but when I looked at them this morning, the contrast seems way down. :scratch:

I think if the blouse was selected first as inverse and then apply the additional steps, the blouse would be less blown. Also selecting the hot spots in baby's face would also help as you guys pointed out.

Someone here suggested the "spyder" as a very good calibrator, I need to get one myself.

I'm trying to learn how to deal with lighting and color problems and practicing on forum photos gives me that opportunity.
Thanks. :wink: Even so, it's a good clear and crisp shot overall. In fact I like the blured background, your DOF is right on.

Paul

Someone here suggested the "spyder" as a very good calibrator, I need to get one myself.
That's what I have at home...and it seems to work pretty well. When I first calibrated my LCD monitor...it made a world of difference. I have always thought that my big CRT here art work (I'm a CAD designer) was pretty close...but it seems to be lacking contrast. I guess that is easier on my eyes since I'm sitting here most of the time...but for whatever reason, my own shots look dull on this monitor while most others don't...it must be my home set up that is wonky :scratch:

Hi Big Mike

Just a little question, I have been lined up to take some photo's for 2 Christenings, and seeing you shots, do you think its a wise investment to get an f2.8 zoom for this occasion, as zooms at mo are a poorly f4 - 5.6 and am affraid with White clothes on the babies using flash may cause probs,

I do like the look of the tamron 17 - 50, as I also have the 430 ex

Cheers

Steve

I think it's almost always a wise investment to get an F2.8 zoom ;)
Is it right for you? I don't know.

I shot a lot of these shots at F4 to F5.6, as mentioned, I did this to get enough DOF and because lenses perform best when stopped down a few stops. So for those, I could have done the job with a slower zoom...but then you are working at the lens max.

With the flash, it's usually easy to overcome the slow lens...but the difference is that you loose some of the ambient exposure. By opening the lens up to F2.8, which I did at times, you can get more ambient exposure and keep a faster shutter speed. Depending on the light, you almost don't need the flash...at some points, I had the FEC set to -2 stops. This is just enough flash to fill in the eye shadows and give nice catch lights.

With a slower lens, you would need a slower shutter speed to get the same ambient exposure...which may cause motion blur. Or if you keep the shutter speed, you get less ambient exposure and more flash exposure.

So, if you think you need an F2.8 lens...then go for it. You could always get a prime lens like a 50mm F1.8 or an 85mm F1.8.

I have a 50mm f1.8, was my latest lens, have not had a chance to get out and use it, but I agree that an f2.8 set at f4 will be better than my f4 zoom, As with everything its worth asking before takin plunge, but Hey saw you thread on the new lense and its always gonna be a lense that will get High use so,

I may opt for a slightly longer zoom though

Will have a play at the local camera store

Anyway Thanks for that

Keep up the good work

PS is that you little One ???

Well, personally, I think you're worrying too much about the color. The people's skin tone looks a bit on the cool side. I would adjust for a slightly warmer skin tone. That would be a bit more flattering for the people. If the background is too orange, they probably won't even notice. (it's not so much about the background) If they do, you always have both versions available for them, right?

Anyhow, they're very good. Don't be too nitpicky. The first ones look good, but I'd warm them up just a hair to warm up the skin tones and give them more of a "Kodak Look". (For years, Kodak film was known to be slanted towards warmer skin tones)

Most reactions

Back