First time random pictures C&C Please

ncprowler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I purchased my first DSLR in May. I have a Sony Alpha 500. I'm still trying to figure everything out and having this website really helps.

This picture is with my Kit Lens 18-55mm
DSC00385.jpg

I just got a new(old/used) Minolta 50mm f1.7. Recently had my appendix removed and can't leave the house so here are some shots around my house.

Please ignore my messy coffee table.
DSC01336.jpg

Table
DSC01204.jpg

Reason for the camera
DSC01326.jpg

Hello prowler and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the soon to be baby.

Here are a couple of links that may help

Exposure
Google

Camera tutorials
Google

Good luck, have fun and keep posting

Congrats on the baby!

Great pictures for a beginner!

We use a Sony A500 at the office as the "public relations" camera -- meaning non-stop work during conferences and gatherings and such. I was a bit skeptical when Procurement first delivered this camera for this specific purpose, but I have since changed my mind.

Image quality is excellent (the BIONZ processor must be doing the trick!) The Dynamic Range Optimizer definitely deals very well with detail, which is always a problem when shooting indoors during conferences, with lots o people around and usually dreadful lighting.

I think that once you begin delving deeper into the A500's many capabilities, your shooting will improve quickly and decisively!

Welcome to the site and congrats on the baby!

Your pictures are quite good for a beginner. Here's some thoughts that could improve them:

#1: Read up on aperture and how it affects depth of field (DOF). On close up shots like this, it's good to get the whole flower in focus (unless there's something interesting in the part you are focusing on). You can get the whole thing in focus by increasing your f/# (called "stopping down" the aperture). Keep in mind, however, you'll need more light or a slower shutter speed to get proper exposure. Search for the "exposure triangle" on google or this site.

#2: Love the dog! Just try not to cut off ears or tops of heads.

#3: Another google search; "rule of thirds". You rarely want the subject (whatever's in focus) to be in the middle of the picture. It tends to look bland, or ordinary. If you had chosen one of the two silver cups as your subject (I would have gone with the one closest to you), the picture would look more interesting to the eyes.

#4: :thumbup: Congrats! :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back