first time shooting macro

shaunly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've been doing some research about poor man's macro =) and thought I'd give it a try. I went to a local used camera store and got myself a Nikon 52mm threat reverse mount and a set of extension tube (65mm total). Cost me about $70 total and this is what I got.

4686580994_13203a908b_b.jpg

4686581298_e4c27a2e8a_b.jpg

4685949099_dee7838b1d_b.jpg

4685949877_0192f610cc_b.jpg

All shot with a 50mm F1.8 reverse mount on top of a 65mm extension tube except the first one, that was just a 50mm with the 65mm tube. All full frame with Nikon D700.

I thought it came out ok considering it's my first time. Focusing is extremely shallow and difficult. All were done handheld and man, your eye start straining quick! I guess I just need more practice. CC? thanks!

here's the link for some other pics too: Macro - a set on Flickr

Rather like #1... #2 and #3 just aren't in the right position. Bugs just don't seem to listen to direction :) #4 doesn't have enough depth to it for the position it's in.

Nice shots overall, look forward to seeing some more.

Congratulations on getting yourself into a camera store and actually buying a set-up!! Your first photo, the fly close-up is rather good. Pretty impressive for a first effort. Like Greg said, the position of the insects in the other pictures isn't quite as appealing and attractive as it is in the first shot. What kind of reverse mounting and what brnad/kind of extension tubes did you decide to go with?

BurstintoflamesXX has been asking about this type of reverse mounting lately--I hope he sees your post.

first shot is great!

Good shots. Detail, color, exposure and all seem great...just watch out for the centered composition.

Thanks everyone. I realized my composition isn't that great with some of those pictures. I just need to be more patience with these little guys I guess. I will also try stacking multiply images to get more DOF. Ill post some more as soon as I have to time.

Derrel: The reverse mount I'm using for my 50mm afd is a Nikon BR-2A. I forgot the name of the extension tubes I'm using. I'll post some pictures of it when I get a chance. It's some brand I've never heard of and I can't seem to find it online either. Very well built and it said "Japan" on it. Not sure if that's made in Japan or just a Japanese company. Kits comes with 3 tubes. 13mm, 22mm, and 30mm. It also support AIs lenses.

Its a very good start. As mentioned composition need a lot of work. I guess it is not as easy when your subjects are tiny :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back