first time taking photos with tripod - what did I do wrong?

Corinna_Naso

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!!

I am new to this forum and I would appreciate your help.
I have a Nikon D3300 and yesterday I bought my first tripod. I can't remember the name now, but I was told it's one of the good ones within a budget friendly range. It cost about 70 dollars.

So anyway, I went to Brooklyn to photograph the Manhattan skyline and I check my photos today (they appeared ok in the camera last night) and I realise there is something weird going on. It's as if my lens has astigmatism (everything is a bit double...) I am attaching some photos here for you to see. I don't know what I did wrong though.
The info for the photos:
ISO 100
f18
30'' shutter speed

Attachments

• DSC_0075.jpg
    DSC_0075.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 287
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 299
I'm sure someone with more experience can help, but initial thoughts:
  1. Did you use the mirror lockup feature?
  2. Did you use a remote shutter release OR the 2 or 5-second delay feature?
  3. If your lens has image stabilization, did you turn it off?
If not, try those shots again but (1) use mirror lockup and (2) use a 2 or 5 second delay (or remote shutter release if you have it) and (3) turn IS off on your lens. Any slight movement of the camera during exposure will show in your pictures.

The camera has been moved during exposure. Possibly from you pressing the shutter button maybe? The movement is very similar in both.

The first one needs to be leveled out. The second one appears to be crooked, but that may just be an illusion.

Hello all.

So I did use a 5 second delay (I bought a remote shutter release yesterday along with my tripod but I think it run out of battery cause it stopped working after a few shots. I assume it's a battery issue, maybe they come with only a tiny bit of battery in them?)

I am not sure what the mirror lock up is :( How do I use that?

Also, I didn't turn the image stabilisation off. Is it because i am using a tripod that I shouldn't have that on?

My brother also says that my exposure was way too long. He suggests using f8 and less shutter speed. Would you agree with that?

Lastly, yeah I know the photos are a bit crooked, its because I was trying to avoid the fence. I would edit afterwards, but no need to edit those monstrosities.

Thanks again! I shall try again tonight!

Oh I also thought it was a bit weird that when I used a surface I found the other night before I bought the tripod I managed to get perfectly nice photos. So if it is an issue with the image stabilisation, why is it that it only became problematic now? Here's a photo I took without a tripod

edit: dunno why, but it just won't allow me to attach the photo. Maybe just take my word for it that it wasn't like those other two :p

There was definite movement/blur. In the first image, look at the top of the Empire State Building. Did you do anything different between 'the other night' and the ones you posted? (It's pretty much impossible to compare, because we have no information on these other photos.)

I've taken good photos with and without taking off the IS, as well, but I've found it to be helpful. Maybe I'm just going loony. I never ACTUALLY compared the same photo side by side, so who knows. Maybe I'm just doing it, because I was always told to do it.

I am not sure what the mirror lock up is :( How do I use that?
Read your manual! ;) It locks the mirror up prior to starting exposure to prevent the extra movement/vibration of the mirror movement.

My brother also says that my exposure was way too long. He suggests using f8 and less shutter speed. Would you agree with that?
'Way too long'? The photos look underexposed to me. I think f/18 is ok if you want the starbursts, but you probably could have had a longer exposure at that aperture. If you go down to f/8, you won't see the starbursts as much. Don't be afraid of increasing your ISO. You don't have to keep it at 100. Try 400 or 800 along with 100 and see how you like them.

Also, if you can, try going out a tad earlier to take the shots, like just around and after sunset at blue hour.

The problem with sunset is that you don't get the lights from the buildings coming up so vividly. I was there during that time too and took some photos.

The different thing between these photos and the previous ones is that I used a tripod here and a longer exposure (30'' rather than 25'').

I will go back and experiment with various different methods tonight and see if I get any difference.

I don't understand why it won't let me attach the photo now...It says it's uploaded 100% but then it won't attach..

I don't know what I did wrong though.

Try to eliminate one issue at a time.

First; when mounting on a tripod, turn off the VR.

Second; find the place in the menus to lock up the mirror. (if your camera can do this)

Third; make sure the tripod is not wiggling. (check each leg for a firm footing, etc.)

Fourth: use the self timer or a cable release.

Last edited:
In terms of mirror lock up, I did some googling, it turns out my camera (Nikon D 3300) only has that for cleaning, not for shooting. So I can't do much about that.

Thanks everyone!

The problem with sunset is that you don't get the lights from the buildings coming up so vividly. I was there during that time too and took some photos.

The different thing between these photos and the previous ones is that I used a tripod here and a longer exposure (30'' rather than 25'').

I will go back and experiment with various different methods tonight and see if I get any difference.

I don't understand why it won't let me attach the photo now...It says it's uploaded 100% but then it won't attach..
Try posting your other set at sunset?

It'll take a lot of practice to get EXACTLY what you want and what you're happy with. You're likely not going to get exactly what you want the first few times. Welcome to photography. :smile:

Are you planning on post processing your photos at all?

Here's an example of NYC at sunset, and those lights look pretty darn good to me.

One member on here posted a pretty good tutorial on night photography: Manaheim s Ultimate Guide to Night Photography Photography Forum

I am trying to attach more photos but it just won't let me! So annoying!!
I do a bit of processing at raw therapee at the moment. I might decide to upgrade to Lightroom at some point.

Ok let me try it like this:
This is the one I took without a tripod, using a flat surface I found. I think it was a 25'' exposure, ISO also 100 and I'm not sure about f, but maybe f20
http://i60.tinypic.com/2djb91z.jpg
(it's a bit crooked, I know, I need to fix that..)

I've taken some just after dusk that I am happy (ish) with:
http://i58.tinypic.com/2qal8g6.jpg

Both are clear...I just thought with a tripod I'd take better photos, not worse :p And since nothing changed other than the use of tripod and longer exposure I dunno what to assume.

I am also rather happy with this one: http://i61.tinypic.com/6z0zzo.jpg
This was hand held, before sunset (obviously :p ).

Also, after staring at these photos for so long I am starting to see the point above that they are actually under exposed. So I have to try a smaller f I think, or increase my ISO...

This is the one I took without a tripod, using a flat surface I found. I think it was a 25'' exposure, ISO also 100 and I'm not sure about f, but maybe f20...

I've taken some just after dusk that I am happy (ish) with:...
The blur issue aside, I prefer both of those shots to the ones you attached. The lighting is much better, IMO, and the shots look much cleaner.

The third shot is really a silhouette of the city. That spot might work well with HDR?

IMO, post processing would really help these shots. I'm not familiar with the software you have, but I would highly recommend pulling these shots in there and fiddling around with them. (Watch some tutorials on YouTube or various websites so you have some idea of what you're doing, haha.)

Try to upload the pictures to your member account here at TPF? I dislike all the ads on tinypic.

So I have to try a smaller f I think, or increase my ISO...
You mean a larger aperture (smaller f/#) to let more light in. Or increase ISO. Or longer exposure. People are told to keep their ISO as low as possible, but sometimes (actually a lot of times) you want to break that rule.

A lot of astrophotography is done at ISOs greater than 1600.

Thanks waday. I did do some editing with those photos. Mainly colours, contrast and stuff like that. What else would you do with them?

Yeah I mean a larger aperture, just to let more light in.

Also, I actually like the silhouette effect on my last one. But the main reason I couldn't do HDR with it is that my camera doesn't allow me to automatically take different photos in different exposures and without a tripod I couldn't achieve a complete match.

Just sent you a PM.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back