First time using film- what went wrong?

hazy,lazy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First post...

So I shot a local band for my school's paper the other night. I used my dad's Rebel 2000, which has been used maybe 5 times in the 10 or whatever years it's been around. It was my first time using it, or any none cheap-digital-camera.

Anyway half the shots came out good enough
5fA6y.jpg

and the other half like, well this
16pD4.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what caused it. It's really weird to me that the roll of film turned out half fine and half worthless. Especially considering some of the shots were consecutive, like these-
rYwZC.jpg

rFnhj.jpg

and yet one turns out ok and the other doesn't. I had it developed at walgreens if that matters.

So yeah if anyone could shed some light on this so I can avoid it in the future i'd appreciate it...
also, if there's anything that could be done about this picture, i'd appreciate that too
cEmJT.jpg

First I see a common digital to film mistake, The image is way over sharpened and the grain severly exadgerated, but that is likely not the question you have, it's the ghosting that I see is it not?

this ghosting is caused by multiple exposing a single frame with two different shots. This is caused by one of two different things.

1) The roll of film was improperly loaded on to the takeup spool and faild to advance properly.

2) the cameras advance is malfunctioning.

I reccomend Reviewing the loading instructions and reloading the camera carefully and shooting another roll. If it's a loading error this should not hapen again, if it's the camera malfunction then it likely will happen again.

I have a feeling that the film you were using may have been old. You may try shooting again with a fresh roll (make sure you check the expiration date on the box first).

The Photomonk

The warmish,reddish shots are exposed only ONCE, but the exposure time is long. Your camera was shooting with flash + a slow ambient exposure in shots 2,3,and 5. The film has not been exposed more than one time per frame, and the film advance is functioning just fine, but when the shutter speed is slow, like let;'s say 1/2 second, a ghost-like blurring shows around the perimeter of where the FLASH makes the "correct" exposure. The images turn reddish and warm-colored due to indoor tungsten or incandescent lighting flooding in when using typical daylight balanced color print film.

When the shutter speed is higher, like 1/125 second and the flash is turned on, the exposure will be normal-looking in terms of color balance, and the scene will be captured properly.

The awful, blurry, warm-toned images filled with ghosting (that is the term, ghosting or ghost images) are very typical of shots done when the flash is turned on and the camera is shot in Aperture Priority Automatic indoors. Set the lens to f/8 using ISO 200 film, and you'll get an Aperture Priority Automatic exposure of around 1/2 second at f/8 in many locations; the shutter speed might easily drop as low as 1.5 seconds.

When using the flash, make sure not to shoot in Aperture Priority Auto mode, but in M mode. Set the shutter to 1/125 second.

I have a feeling that the film you were using may have been old. You may try shooting again with a fresh roll (make sure you check the expiration date on the box first).

The Photomonk

Expired film does not do that, I've shot more rolls of expired film than I have fresh and I have shot a lot of film. Expired film has all kinds of funkey colors and whatnot.

Thses where shot on expired film

Please don't go by Battou - Photo Lucidity
Hotel Harley by Battou - Photo Lucidity
The Little Mountain by Battou - Photo Lucidity

The warmish,reddish shots are exposed only ONCE, but the exposure time is long. Your camera was shooting with flash + a slow ambient exposure in shots 2,3,and 5. The film has not been exposed more than one time per frame, and the film advance is functioning just fine, but when the shutter speed is slow, like let;'s say 1/2 second, a ghost-like blurring shows around the perimeter of where the FLASH makes the "correct" exposure. The images turn reddish and warm-colored due to indoor tungsten or incandescent lighting flooding in when using typical daylight balanced color print film.

When the shutter speed is higher, like 1/125 second and the flash is turned on, the exposure will be normal-looking in terms of color balance, and the scene will be captured properly.

The awful, blurry, warm-toned images filled with ghosting (that is the term, ghosting or ghost images) are very typical of shots done when the flash is turned on and the camera is shot in Aperture Priority Automatic indoors. Set the lens to f/8 using ISO 200 film, and you'll get an Aperture Priority Automatic exposure of around 1/2 second at f/8 in many locations; the shutter speed might easily drop as low as 1.5 seconds.

When using the flash, make sure not to shoot in Aperture Priority Auto mode, but in M mode. Set the shutter to 1/125 second.

If I had realized I needed to side scroll I would have seen that.....on an interesting note I could have sworn I had seen a face in the second one.

First post...

So I shot a local band for my school's paper the other night. I used my dad's Rebel 2000, which has been used maybe 5 times in the 10 or whatever years it's been around. It was my first time using it, or any none cheap-digital-camera.

Anyway half the shots came out good enough
5fA6y.jpg

and the other half like, well this
16pD4.jpg

I'm trying to figure out what caused it. It's really weird to me that the roll of film turned out half fine and half worthless. Especially considering some of the shots were consecutive, like these-
rYwZC.jpg

rFnhj.jpg

and yet one turns out ok and the other doesn't. I had it developed at walgreens if that matters.

So yeah if anyone could shed some light on this so I can avoid it in the future i'd appreciate it...
also, if there's anything that could be done about this picture, i'd appreciate that too
cEmJT.jpg

Looks like Russell Crowe in your last picture. (Guy wearing hat, to the right.) Just an observation :razz:

Now that I think about it there was a very good chance that the film was expired... hopefully that's all it was. Thanks for the help.
I guess I'll find out for sure after I shoot some more today.

I will definitely keep these specs in mind :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back