Fisheye Lens Troubles...

Stepherly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently purchased a fisheye lens for my Nikon D3200. I have the camera set on manual, but the pictures are all still coming out dark, almost no image. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks Ya'll
Stepherly

What lens? What camera settings? Post a sample so we can see so we're not (pun intended) in the dark.

Rokinon FE8M-N 8mm F3.5 Fisheye Lens
All my settings are currenty on the "normal" or "auto" setting.
And Im attempting to upload a picture, but its too big :(

Just resize it down to about 600 pixels on the long end and save it as a different filename.

In this one, I actually pointed my camera directly at my ceiling fan

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 236
Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D3200
Image Date: 2015-06-19 20:45:57 (no TZ)
Aperture: ƒ/0.0
Exposure Time: 0.0003 s (1/4000)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
Software: Ver.1.03

I think there's your problem. You need bring the shutter speed way down.

I brought the shutter down to 1 sec, photos are the same. hmmm...
Thanks for trying.

Thanks for trying.

Are you still in manual? If so, is the shutter speed all you're changing?

Thanks for trying.

Are you still in manual? If so, is the shutter speed all you're changing?

Since it is an all manual lens, and the aperture is showing fo.o, I would guess the aperture is way to small as well. You will have to change the f-stop on the lens.

If the aperture is being reported as f/0.0, that means the lens isn't chipped. So we have no idea what aperture is actually being used.

Don't give us the EXIF data, tell us what the camera was set to, including ISO.

The Rokinon for Canon is not chipped, so the camera has no idea what the lens is set for, therefore can't put it in EXIF data. For Nikon, there is a chipped version as well as the less expensive unchipped. I have the chipped version myself, and I like the lens. It's a lot of fun!

The image is obviously underexposed. You say the camera is in manual, and 1/4000 is a very fast shutter. You said you set it to 1 second and it was the same, but we didn't see the image there, just you saying it was the same. Still no idea what the aperture or ISO is set to.

I think the camera can be set to manual yet the ISO still could be automatic, which means the meter is STILL adjusting your exposure, even though you're in M mode, as you're only controlling two sides of the exposure triangle. If ISO is Auto, you DON'T have manual exposure control.

Does sound like the iris is closed all the way. Try taking the lens off and look through the back while you move the iris lever. The iris opens for the viewfinder but when you fire - the camera releases the iris and it goes to whatever is set on the lens.

LATE EDIT - changed "shutter" to "lens iris" duh!!

Last edited:
My Nikon is in manual mode. If I have it set to any other mode, it tells me that no lens is attached. The settings are as follows...

Image quality- norm
Image size- large
White balance- auto
ISO sensitivity- 100
Max sensitivity- 6400
Min Shutter speed- 1 sec
Active D lighting- on
Auto distortion control- off
Color space- sRGB
Noise reduction- off
AF- area mode- '--'
Built in AF-assist illuminator- on

Attached is a picture after the shutter had been changed to 1 s

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    111.3 KB · Views: 274
What is the aperture on the lens set to - far as I know with these you have to set the aperture on the lens itself as the camera can't communicate with it. If the aperture is set way small to say f22 then you'd need a very very long shutter speed to get any kind of exposure

I don't see any aperture in the settings...

Most reactions

Back