Fix or replace?

Chris Rice

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All!

I have a Nikon AF-S 28-70 f/2.8 D lens that has been sitting in storage (sealed Pelican case) for a long time. It's an old lens (10 years or so) but didn't get much use.

I just bought a D7200 body.

When I attached the lens I noticed that it would focus, but I hear a squeek type noise as it moves.

Also, it gets stuck occasionally when trying to focus. If I move the focus ring just a bit then it starts working.

I looked on the Nikon site and their estimate is $600. The new version of this lens is about $1900.

I've never had a lens fixed before.

I'm wondering if it is worth having it fixed, or is the new lens so much better that I might as well put the funds toward buying one (the 24-70 f/2.8). Is the new one that much better? Is fixing a lens a crap shoot? Or, perhaps this lens is just as good and fixing it would be a good savings...?

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on the fix vs. replace issue.

I have a couple AF-S Nikkors where the motor squeaks, and HAS since they were brand new...one is 10 years old, the other is 12 years old...I've heard it said that an AF-S motor squeak is a sign of "imminent failure of the motor." I cannot agree with that. I dunno...I would not spend $600 on that lens. I would use it until it totally conks out. My 70-300 VR also fails to focus sometimes, and must be nudged at times; that occurs when the focus target is FAR away from the currently-set focus distance. I would use the lens a bit, see if it "limbers up", or if it's something that you are doing. Also, maybe take a business card, and slip it inside the focusing ring, and "work out" anything that might be trapped in there, using the corner of the business card as a cleaning tool in repeated motions, working your way around the entire circumference of the lens; this is a great way to remove sand and grit.

Hi Derrel,

You were right.

I used the lens all day yesterday and it did seem to limber up. The squeak is gone, but the AF still sticks. It does not seem to be as predictable as yours. Mine just seems to stick when it feels like it.

Thanks for the advice. I had a hard time stomaching the $600 repair in lieu of a new lens. So, I'll try using the heck out of it and see what happens.

Thanks again,

Chris

If it really becomes problematic, it might be worth seeing if there's an independent facility around that can fix it. This lens is old enough that private outfits might have parts for it.

The lubricant has dried up. Needs a CLA. Look around there are repair services everywhere.

Let us know what you decided. I own that lens. Mine doesn't squeak. At least not yet. Fingers crossed.
It's my main lens.

Go the the Nikon site, and see who is an authorized repair shop. I noticed that APS out of Morton Grove is no longer on the list.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back