Flash and more flash..

Biggin587

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well heres the thing. I am sort of new to the photography thing, so bare with me. I want to take my Olympus E-500 and have a flash on the "Hot shoe" and have a slave set up somewhere. I would like to do this wirelessly, but the catch is I dont want to pay $500.00. Is this possible and what do I need? I would consider using the wired version if it will save me alot. Thanks!

I believe the cheapest way is using a optical slave if environment is good enough such as using it indoor studio.

The flash with the optical slave will fire with the on-camera flash. Some may not work too well with the camera pre-flash.

You can also look for some radio triggers.

A cable is definitely going to be your cheapest option.... if you're working in an area where you don't mind being tethered to your flash.

If you want to move around in a small area wirelessly, these are an option for keeping it cheep. I cannot attest to the v4's, but I had a set of v2's, and their reliability was so-so, even with modifying the transmitter antenna.

Gadget Infinity :: Digital Camera :: Flash Trigger :: Cactus Wireless Flash Trigger Set V4

Next most common step in wireless reliabilty would be these:

AlienBees: Illuminating the Galaxy with Professional Photographic Lighting Equipment

And these are called "poverty wizard" for a reason......

Amazon.com: PocketWizard PWP-TR 801-125 PLUS II Transceiver (Black): Electronics

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So with the second, or I guess with all of them really, you put the transmitter on the shoe of the camera then when you click the shutter the transmitter sends a signal to the other flashes telling them to go off correct? Which one is best out of the three and would be easiest to use?

I already know in advance that people are going to flame me and disagree because what I use isn't Nikon, and it isn't even expensive. But it works, at least for me. And to me, that's all that matters. Why get overly technical and costly if simple and inexpensive works as well as this does?

I use a Nikon bodies, D40, D80, and D70S, so I can lower the power of the built-in camera flash (you have to experiment to see how low it will go) if I want, OR I can use one of these flashes on camera for a master, but I have several of these little flashes that, when they "see" the on camera master flash go off, that (wirelessly) triggers them to go off when they see the master unit flash.

There are limitations to this, but I can set them anywhere they can actually see the light from the on camera master flash. It took some experimentation to know how to use the shutter speed and aperture settings, and to set the power for the master flash, but I can shoot with several of these little flashes, all wireless, no radio triggers or wires or anything.

I have seen people here on TPF test radio triggers 3-4 football fields away, even show pics of doing it but who shoots like that? For what I do, these work just fine, indoors or outdoors.

I can use them for front lighting, back lighting, fill, and they even tilt and rotate. For me they work so easy it seems almost stupid to admit it.

And I know where these flashes can be bought for $30.00 each (open box with 1-year warranty), with free shipping on eBay. $30.00, geez... Seller has a 99.9% positive feedback rating on eBay. Shipped from Colorado, right here in the USA.

I have an SB-400 and had a SB-600 but these little flashes are so easy and so cheap I just don't need anything else. Already sold the SB-600, SB-400 is about to be sold. I just don't need it because these suckers work so well for me.

What I am referring to Quantaray (Sunpak, el-cheapo, I never said they weren't) Model PZ-1 DSZ dual swivel zoom, and they make them specifically for Nikon, Canon, and Minolta, but used like I do, doesn't matter who they are made for, the wireless slave (optically triggered) fuction works the same.

Uses 4 "AA" cells, usually comes with original instructions, and 1-year warranty.

I am seriously thinking about buying a whole bunch of these while I can get them so dang cheap.

Here is the listing # 390086843199 for you to search for, when you get it, you can look at sellers other listings to see other flashes than Nikon, and other stuff besides flashes.

What I make is just a suggestion for you to do with as you choose, but these work well for me.

Happy shooting!

Last edited:
Well thank-you for the info above. Ive been wondering if these work or not. :)
And, those inexpensive speedlights PatrickHMS noted can also be fired by inexpensive radio triggers that can be also be purchased on eBay. That would negate the downsides to optical triggering, line-of-sight/range, and removing the need to have a light source on the lens axis.

Good point Keith. Forgot to mention that, since for me, the optical trigger works so well.

I don't mind at all spending money on camera equipment, but the less I spend on other stuff like lighting, the more I can spend on lenses and good glass.

For a flash that has 5 different modes including TTL, that can be both optically and radio triggered, with a trigger voltage that is compatible with a DSLR, you can't beat these for $30.00 each, including shipping.

Heck, you could probably sell these for more than $30.00 on your local Craigslist...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back