Flash decisions?

N1kon1k

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone
I mainly shoot landscape but lately I have been trying to get into photographing kids outside and what not....

Light isn't always the best when shooting and sometimes parents want shooting sessions during harsh light...

I feel like a flash can help balancing the light or filling in...

I own a D750 and will be buying a Tamron 70-200 f2.8...

What flash can I start with? Something that won't break the bank but also will give me options if I need them?

How large is the bank. You can spend anywhere from $50 to $5000. This is a decent, inexpensive unit that will do what you want.

Yikes... A bit too pricey lol ... since I'm buying the Tamron lens I might be able to swing between $200-300 unless there is something cheaper that will work just as good

Check out this unit from flashpoint. You can also get a wireless trigger from them to use it off camera, and that trigger will also run their studio strobes simultaneously if you ever have a need to invest in more lighting kit.

Edit: this is the canon version. Be sure to get the Nikon version.

Check out this unit from flashpoint. You can also get a wireless trigger from them to use it off camera, and that trigger will also run their studio strobes simultaneously if you ever have a need to invest in more lighting kit.

Looks like it has great reviews... I'm going to look into it....

A GN of 127 is respectable, but it's not going to overpower the sun. You need a whole lot more oomph than a single speedlight to do balanced exposure in "harsh" light. If you can't afford something bigger, I would recommend saving your money until you can. Speedlights are great, and incredibly versatile, but they just don't have a lot of power.

A GN of 127 is respectable, but it's not going to overpower the sun. You need a whole lot more oomph than a single speedlight to do balanced exposure in "harsh" light. If you can't afford something bigger, I would recommend saving your money until you can. Speedlights are great, and incredibly versatile, but they just don't have a lot of power.

That's why I reccomended the flashpoint system. For $750 you can get into their xplor 600 studio strobes that are battery powered with full TTL, and you can control them with the same trigger as this speedlight.

Plenty of room for expansion in the future.

That's why I reccomended the flashpoint system. For $750 you can get into their xplor 600 studio strobes that are battery powered with full TTL, and you can control them with the same trigger as this speedlight.

Plenty of room for expansion in the future.
Good point - just as long as the OP doesn't think that one will do the same as the other.

are we talking Strobes or a Flash/Speedlight?

you can get a refurbished Nikon SB-700 for like $220ish USD

Hey everyone
I mainly shoot landscape but lately I have been trying to get into photographing kids outside and what not....

Light isn't always the best when shooting and sometimes parents want shooting sessions during harsh light...

I feel like a flash can help balancing the light or filling in...

I own a D750 and will be buying a Tamron 70-200 f2.8...

What flash can I start with? Something that won't break the bank but also will give me options if I need them?

Hmmmm...some things to consider....for fill-in flash, the fill-in is usually about 2 to 3 EV less than the main light, which we'll assume is sunlight or sky-lighting.

So, you probably really want a flash that can do FP Sync (Nikon's official term) or whjat Canon users call High Speed Sync or HSS.

There are a number of units that can shoot flash at fast shutter speeds, above the 1/250 X-sync on many Nikons. At WIDE f/stops, like say f/2.8 at 1/4000 second, you can make ugly outdoor backgrounds become smooth, defocused blurs, so make sure you get an HSS/FP sync capable flash unit if you want tyo be able to get to wide f/stops and the fast shutter speeds they need in bright, outdoor lighting conditions.

Smaller lights,like the SB-700 or SB-800 or SB-910 from Nikon are ample for fill-in lighting, because as I said earlier, fill-in flash is usually shot at Minus 2.0 to Minus 3.0 EV...

Once you start getting into scenarios where you want the FLASH to be the Key Light (or Main Light) light soure, then you'd likely want the power of the larger Xplor 600 or Streaklight 360,etc...In other words, you want a much,much higher Guide Number than 127 in Feet at ISO 100. At 10 feet, a GN of 127 means f/12.7...ehhhh...NOT very powerful, really. Not compared to studio-type flash units. Again, though...as Fill-in, that's reasonably powerful.

Last edited:
The SB-700 is what I had in mind... but wasn't sure if there were better or just as good for a lower price... when thinking "Refurb" is it worth the $80 gamble? I keep reading that flashes tend to have a short life

Where are you finding an Nikon official refurbished Nikon SB-700 for $80 ?

For shooting portraits outdoors and dealing with harsh lighting, I would consider either of these.

Interfit
S1 - 500ws flash with on board rechargeable battery.

Flash point XPLOR 600 - 600ws flash with on board rechargeable battery.

I have other lights in the Flashpoint series and I really like them. I have been around and used the Interfit S1 and I like it well enough that I have been considering selling my studio strobes and going to this system.

Another alternative in the Flashpoint series is the Streaklight 360 - It is only 360ws of power but it is my go to and travel lighting. I have bought the mount for a stand where I can use bowens mount light modifiers with it.

Just a not to @Derrel's comment about high speed sync. All three of these options will support it on my Canon system so they should on the Nikon as well.

IMHO for harsh sunlight situations, HSS is the way to go. (But I will try to find open shade if at all possible.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back