Flash for D80

I have an SB-600 and an SB-400 and both are great.

I use the SB-400 outdoors where the main thing I'm trying to do is use fill-flash to get rid of harsh shadowing during mid-day sun on people's faces. It's super light and won't get in your way nearly as much as an SB-600 will there. I use my SB-600 for indoor shooting. It's much more flexible than the SB-400 is here since you can rotate the flash head in almost any direction you need to to get a nice wall bounce or light coming from the appropriate direction. The SB-400 only flips up which is a lot more limiting.

If you can only get one, just get the SB-600 since it's only like $50-60 more than the SB-400 and far more capable. After that you'll want to start looking at the MB-D80 grip since the D80 and lower all handle and balance like crap with an SB-600/800 lens on top of them. :mrgreen: The grip makes the handling sooooo much better if you're going to be shooting extensively with the flash.

i have the sb-400 and is upgrading to the sb-600. i love the sb-400. it did a very nice job for its price and size. there is no custom adjustment. its all plug and play and your camera will do the rest. sb-400 with nikon's i-TTL works very well. i am upgrading to the sb-600 because the sb-400 lacks rotation to bounce the flash when shooting portraits. i bounce my flash when ever possible. it make a world of a difference and i prefer the look of a bounce flash than direct. there was a lot of times it was impossible for me to bounce when i had to shoot portrait, reason being now i upgraded to the sb-600.

also with sb-600 and nikon d80 i think you can use the flash wireless. so thats another good feature.

Most reactions

Back