Flash help!

scottynz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I'm taking a portraiture class next month, so I think now is the time to invest in a decent flash. I'm going to the US next week, so want to take advantage of the cheaper prices there, but I have no clue what to get!! I'm getting kind of bamboozled by all info out there, and there's only so much time I can spend sifting through page after page of online reviews.... so, please help!
Looking for:
Something that is not too cheap, and not too expensive. So, higher than entry-level, but lower than high-end pro.
Budget: Up-to $200-ish
Must have full tilt and swivel
Preferably as compact as possible as I travel a lot and would like to be able to add this to my camera kit if it's not too bulky
So, what do you suggest??
thanks!

it helps to mention what system you will be using it in! I even checked your profile,,, nothing! ;)

Yongnuo 565 seems to be for you, I'd say. Good OED flashes are a bit out of your budget. You'd be better with this third party one, which is pretty great for $150.

Amazon.com: Yongnuo YN-565EX ETTL Speedlite Flash for Canon: Electronics

That link is for Canon version, but there is a Nikon as well. (It can do TTL, so it matters for that reason I believe). They cannot do high speed sync flash, though.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Yongnuo gear seems to get generally decent reviews for consumer gear - you do get what you pay for though. Without a location it's hard to guess what's available to you, but if you're in Canada, then check out Craig's List, Used <City Name> or Kijiji for deals on used name brand gear; I'm seeing lightly used SB800s going for $225-250 in the Victoria area.

Good point, cgipson! I'm using a Canon 60D. I'm based out of Montreal, the land of high prices and higher taxes. I'll check into this Yongnuo flash you speak of. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. Second hand is also an option, but without truly knowing what to look for, it's difficult. For something brand new, if I act quickly I can have it shipped to my friend's place in Seattle where I'll be headed next week

Good point, cgipson! I'm using a Canon 60D. I'm based out of Montreal, the land of high prices and higher taxes. I'll check into this Yongnuo flash you speak of. If you have any other suggestions please let me know. Second hand is also an option, but without truly knowing what to look for, it's difficult. For something brand new, if I act quickly I can have it shipped to my friend's place in Seattle where I'll be headed next week

Ini the price range you suggested.. that Yongnuo is your best option, unless you buy used OEM....

Most reactions

Back