Flash remote of sort? Ideas?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Basically, if I don't want my flash to be restricted to the 2 feet radius around my camera (that off-camera cable) what do I do? For instance, for lighting effects---if I wanted to have my flash about 10 feet away and to the side of the subject... Any ideas? Is there a trigger I can plug into my camera, that will trigger my 430EX? Or, does anyone have suggestions as to what equipment I should buy?

I'm pretty set on lenses (of course there are plenty I want) but lighting is my next step...so I am OK with spending a bit of money (a bit to me is probably less than a bit to you).:D

The proper way is to buy a set of pocket wizards. They cost around $400, one goes on the camera hotshoe, the other on the flash shoe or flash sync connector. And that's it.

The financially sensible way to do it is to buy a set of wireless triggers from ebay which do the exact same thing and come in at about 1/10th of the price. They seem to be reliable too although they set each other off if you bring two flash units within a few cm of each other.

There is plenty of great information, already posted on the forum.

Here is a recent thread http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90713

There are a couple ways to go about this. You could use the wireless flash features that Canon has, which would require you to also have a 580EX (or 550EX) flash to act as a master to your 430EX. Or you could get the ST-E2 to act as a master. This set up gives you E-TTL flash metering, just as if the flash is connected to the camera.

You could go with a radio trigger, as Garbz mentioned. You could also use an optical trigger, which fires a flash when another flash is fired. These options don't give you any metering, so you would need to set it up manually.

I have been extremely happy with a pc sync cord. The adapter for your camera, one to mount the flash one, and a fair sized cable don't run you very much at all. I would say under $40 for sure depending on what cable you buy. I haven't had any misfiring problems thus far. The only disadvantage is that yes you are stuck to a cable to you can't exactly put it a few hundred feet away or anything.

Just don't let anyone trip over the cable! ;)

Or figure you dont need weights on the light stand since there is no umbrella and no wind and then step too far away and pull the cable too tight so the light stand with your expensive flash falls to the ground..........

My stand was about 7 feet up and the 430ex hit right onto concrete but it didn't seem to do a thing. . . I was very relieved and I now always make sure to not be lazy and put weights on.

Set your nikon to commander and the flash to slave, it works for free with oh wait...

Canon folk can't do that!

:D

I just had too...

But pocket wizards, although expensive, are what you're looking for. They also have other uses besides just flash control. Strobist has a video where one guy set up his pocket wizards to fire his D2x remotely when it was strapped onto a bicycle. Neat stuff!

hehehehehe!!!

It's all in good fun and games!

Most reactions

Back